AKG vs Beyerdynamic

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc
AKG vs Beyerdynamic
by
on May 3, 2007 at 1:03:14 pm

Good day all,

As a video editor I've mainly cut interview stuff recorded with Sony ECM-77 but now I have the opportunity to set up a small recording booth for narration / voice-over work and have 2 microphones at my disposal:
an AKG C414 B-ULS or a Beyerdynamic MC740N(C) P48. Which would you recommend for my purposes ? And would there be an advantage in buying a mic preamp over just using 48v phantom power from my Soundcraft board.

Thanks for your insights,

Marc

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: AKG vs Beyerdynamic
on May 3, 2007 at 8:53:17 pm

Both of those mics are excellent VO booth mics. I would recommend giving both a critical listen with a wide range of voices and determine which one works best for which voice.

I have the AKG 414 and the Beyer 742 (a stereo version of the 740) and I use them both for VO recording and more. If I had to give some specifics, I would say use the 414 for big male voices and the 740 for young and female voices. In a booth, use omni paterns on both.

System Info - G5/Dual 2 - 10.4.8 - QT v7.1.3 - 8GB ram - Radeon 9800Pro - External SATA Raid - Decklink Extreme - Wacom 6x8

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 4, 2007 at 12:34:12 am

The beyer is the underdog, but both should do fine.

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS: reviews of both are on my site.

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

Marc
by
on May 4, 2007 at 6:30:44 pm

Thank you both for your time and insights.

Marc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]