FORUMS: list search recent posts

48v line noise on Mic signal HEEEELP

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joachim Sandvik
48v line noise on Mic signal HEEEELP
on Apr 26, 2007 at 10:38:50 pm

I have done the perfect mistake of NOT switching the camera over to mic, and fed the audio in line signal hence i get the nice 48v noise all over my recording...(or was it mic signal into a line seting)

Anyhoops my recording isnow full of noise wheras the main noise is from 4k and up. But it spreads all over the range. it is a speak for a documentary.

NEED help fast. either here or onmy mail.

Allthe best
Joachim

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: 48v line noise on Mic signal HEEEELP
on Apr 27, 2007 at 12:32:44 am

Using the line input and leaving 48 VDC phantom power on seldom causes noise.

Could it be from something else?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

joachim sandvik
on Apr 27, 2007 at 6:51:33 pm

No! the camera was set to line, and the mixer was feeding it with "dubble" 48v.(the mixer prob, screwed things a bit up. but it is sending a mic signal, (and the camera was prob. also set to feed 48v.)

Yes normally the "dubble" 48v is not a problem, but
I have done this incredible rookie mistake once before, but it was a missunderstanding between the camerawoman, and me. (i have to admit that i acctually did not plug my phones into the camera to check the audio, i just did a visual confirmation that audio was put through) I will never do that again... he he

So any takers on this, i have been suggested xplode, and xnoise plugs

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
on Apr 28, 2007 at 12:28:32 am

If its a constant hum over a narrow frequency range, you may be able to notch it out with an EQ. Profile-based noise removal software (eg. DiNR) may be able to reduce the level of noise, but doing so requires a pretty light touch. Apply too-much noise removal, and you can pretty much trash your audio quality.

Of course, always monitor your recorder using headphones.

Return to posts index

joachim sandvik
on Apr 29, 2007 at 8:53:48 am

Thanks.

Any takers on the sound here.

The speach is in Norwegian, and i hope that someone might have the time to mock around with it:

The audio can be downloaded here:
http://www.yousendit.com/download/TEhXWUh0Q1JUWUEwTVE9PQ

it is called "Til Else" it should be available for another 3-4 days for download.

in advance thanks :)

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Apr 29, 2007 at 10:21:57 pm

That doesn't sound like anything to do with phantom power. You only have to view the waveform in a sound program to see that it is a distorted clipped signal from over-modulation somewhere in the signal path. If your levels on the camera "looked" in range then it was probably distorting at the input to the mixer or you were sending the incorrect level output from the mixer for the chosen camera settings. You may me able to lessen that with various EQ and noise removal techniques but it will always be distorted. It's kind of like blown out highlights with video. You can darken them a little in post but you can never really get the information back.

Return to posts index

joachim sandvik
on Apr 30, 2007 at 8:18:26 am

Ok. ;)

Well wee got the old man (93yrs old) to say some of the things one more time, and we got him to sing the pices he were supposed to sing..

soo ill VocAlign him and tune hime to fit. as far as i can, and we will cut away.

But all visual signals looked good. soo i guess the mixer screwed me over...and the fact that i did not plug my phones into the camera. (I know its like letting the camera go and the actors to preform without direction etc etc..

Thanks for all good help, and if any1 would like to try to clean it as best they can, please feel free to do soo

:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]