FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser k6 and capsules me66 me64 me62???

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
moldvarpan
Sennheiser k6 and capsules me66 me64 me62???
on Apr 7, 2007 at 11:40:57 am

Hello.

I have the k6 power supply with the me66 capsule that I use for location recordings, boom operating. I'm alos doing more and more of post-production: dubbing, voice-over, foley-ing etc. and I'm looking for a better mic more suitable for these kind of recordings. I find the me66 too "crisp" under these circumstances and I was wondering if I stick to the k6 unit by buying myself either the me64 or the me62. Maybe they are too similar to the me66 or would I experience a lot of difference from the me66? In what way? And which one of the two (me64 or me62) would you recommend in this case??? Or maybe to buy something else than fits to the K6 unit - but then again, my budget is limited...

A lot of questions like you can see,
hope somebody can help,
Best regards.

Return to posts index

moldvarpan
Re: Sennheiser k6 and capsules me66 me64 me62???
on Apr 10, 2007 at 8:13:37 am

Hmm. Not much response, I'll try to make myself more clear...

I have a Sennheiser K6 power unit with a ME66 capsule that I use for location recordings.

I would like to get myself a new mic for foleying and voice-recordings in my home studio, and I was thinking of either the ME62 or the ME64 since they both go with the K6.

Been reading a lot of threads on the matter on this forum and I've seen other mics being suggested that might do the job even better and for smaller price tags as the ME62 and ME64. They are:

MXL 990 $50
Studio Projects B1 $80
MXL V67g $100
Audio Technica AT2020 $100
Shure SM57 $100

Can anyone give their opinion on this one? Note. The mic needs to be kind of "flexible" since I'd like to be able to use it for both voices and foleying. Was thinking maybe that the MXL 990 might be good for the VO and AT2020 for the foleying. Or again, should I stick to the idea of the ME62 or ME64?

Best regards.

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
on Apr 10, 2007 at 8:58:35 pm

To be honest, none of the mics you listed are suitable for foley recording (although the SM 57 is handy to have as a support mic for high-SPL effects). Foley tends to be rather quiet, which is why extremely sensitive mics are preferred (paired with high-end preamplifiers and A-D converters).

With the mics you listed, you would be obliged to record with the mic extremely close to the action in question, giving an unnaturally exaggerated perspective.

Here are the mics I use for foley recording (by no means the final word, but they get the job done):

Sennheiser MKH416 (short-shotgun condensor)
Exceptionally sensitive, but rugged enough for use in the dirt pits. The off-axis rejection gives it a nice, tight sound for exteriors while still giving tremendous flexibility in mic placement. Works great at a distance of 2' to 4', depending on the desired accoustics, though its sensitive enough to give clear and detailed results at much longer perspectives. This is the workhorse, and its the primary up-close mic for almost everything I record. Additionally, it is a very popular mic for production recording, making it that much easier to match the sound and perspective of the dialogue track.

Neumann TLM 103 (large-diaphragm cardiod condensor)
Paired with the MKH416, this makes an excellent perspective mic. On interior scenes, I place this high up, near a corner of the studio, facing towards the centre of the room. Mixing a bit of this distant sound with the close-up MKH416 gives us plenty of flexibility in terms of perspectives (ie. for a more distant perspective, I simply mix in more of the TLM 103). The low self-noise of the mic, paired with its sensitivity and transparency, give the resulting recordings a very "open" and natural sound.

Neumann TLM 170 (large-daiphragm variable-pattern condensor)
I only recently started working with this mic, so I'm still getting a feel for its use. Occasionally, effects with a great deal of transient energy (smashing glass, etc.) will cause a bit of distortion on the MKH416. In those cases, I'll often use the TLM 170 (with the pattern set to hyper-cardiod). I've tried using it as a perspecitve mic, but I find that it lacks the mellowness of the TLM 103. This mic has an extended high-frequency response, so it can be usefull if you plan on pitching-down effects recorded at 96kHz.

Other special-use mics
Once or twice a month I may turn to a more specialized tool to reinforce or support the MKH416. A few of these include: DPA 8011 hydrophone (for underwater recording), Shure SM-57 (for high-SPL effects where the mic may be damaged), AKG D112 kick-drum mic (for high-SPL effects that need extended bass response), C-ducer contact transducer (for really unusual mechanical effects).

The first 3 mics will would work quite well in a voiceover or ADR session. The MKH416, in particular, is well suited to ADR given its production sound reputation. The Neumann mics are great VO and narration mics, although some voices will benefit from warmer or more coloured mics.

You should go over mic selection with your foley artist. An experienced foley artist will be able to play to the strengths of particular mics.

Return to posts index

moldvarpan
on Apr 11, 2007 at 7:56:34 am

Thank you Stephen for your interesting input. Though the mics you mention in your thread are exceeding my budget :) Yes, it will come to this day, when I'll exchange my ME66 for the MKH416 but till that day, I'm trying to get by on a smaller budget. I know it's not the ideal thing to do, but that's how it has to be for the time being.

Having said so, and considering what you advised me, I guess from the mics in my price range the ME66 is still my best choice at the moment for foleying. But I would still like to know if I'd be any better off with a ME64 or ME62.

As for Voice-over jobs, I still wonder...
MXL 990 $50
Studio Projects B1 $80
MXL V67g $100
Audio Technica AT2020 $100
Shure SM57 $100

Best regards.

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
on Apr 11, 2007 at 3:22:20 pm

The ME62 is an omni-direction capsule, while the ME64 is cardioid.

Most foley and vocal work benefits from the rear-rejection of cardioid mics, although hyper-cardioid or shotgun mics will give you more control over the apparent accoustics of the recording. For that reason, you should probably opt for the cardiod capsule rather than the omni.

However, if you are currently dissatisfied with the performance of the ME66 in foley and vocal situations, I doubt that a different cap will dramatically improve your results. Basically, you're looking at the same mic without all the off-axis rejection.

If you want to save money by using cheap mics, you probably should be out-sourcing your foley. The cost of the microphones are usually small compared to the cost of building a suitable foley studio, or renovating an existing studio space. Moreover, if you aren't recording enough foley to justify the expense of building and equipping a foley studio, you should probably be out-sourcing your foley. Good foley artists are hard to come by, and foley recording is a very demanding task (in terms of gear, studio space and labour).

Return to posts index

moldvarpan
on Apr 12, 2007 at 10:40:17 am

Thanks Stephen.

I'll keep that in mind, though I'll probably continue foleying in my "cheap" manner, only because I like it :) For sure you convinced me not to invest in the ME62 nor the ME64... but simply to continue with the ME66.

Any thoughts on the voice-over mic, among the mics I mentioned?

Best regards, and thanks again for your time and effort.

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
on Apr 12, 2007 at 3:10:54 pm

Of the mics you listed, I've only used the SM-58. Its a great mic for live music and can take an obscene amount of punishment, but its not really a VO mic. If you really want that big, full, warm sound generally sought after in VO, you're going to have to spend more money.

If you dig through this forum a bit, you'll find many great entry-level VO mic reccomendations. If you can't afford to buy the mic you need, then rent it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]