FORUMS: list search recent posts

time code/sync equipment

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dave Rudolph
time code/sync equipment
on Mar 27, 2007 at 5:02:35 pm

Can this forum make some suggestions for the necessary equipment to achieve synced audio/HD video? I want to know what products are needed to sync two Canon XH-G cameras to a Sound Devices 744 recorder (At this point I only own the 744). An unteathered system would work most frequently for the sports and events coverage I do and anticipate. Even after reading the product descriptions from companies such as Ambient, I remain confused. I am primarily just trying to make the post production workflow efficient and less frustrating (not broadcasting at this time).
Thank you for any suggestions.
Dave
Rudolph Media

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: time code/sync equipment
on Mar 28, 2007 at 4:41:31 am

Feed the TC out of the 744 and into the Canons TC input. Set the camera's TC setting to external>free run>jam. You can pull the cables and expect the TC to be synced for at least an hour, but you should test this by shooting the TC display on the 744 after an hour and then seeing if there is any drift.

You will need an XLR-BNC conversion cable for the connection.

System Info - G5/Dual 2 - 10.4.8 - QT v7.1.3 - 8GB ram - Radeon 9800Pro - External SATA Raid - Decklink Extreme - Wacom 6x8

Return to posts index

dave Rudolph
on Mar 29, 2007 at 6:23:05 pm

Well this is exactly what I wanted to hear but wan't expecting. This is simple and not overwelmingly labor intensive nor tethered (except for the likely hourly maintentance).

What is the purpose or advantage then of purchasing a few thousand dollars of lockit boxes or similar and perhaps a time code generator? Are these primarily broadcast issues or for additional control and less finessing during post edit?

Will, thanks for answering my original post.

Dave

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Mar 31, 2007 at 3:17:33 am

You won't need anything else if you have the 744. It will generate and read any flavor of TC you should need. I like to use the Horita TC display unit for producers and clients in the video village - But that's about it.

http://www.horita.com/

System Info - G5/Dual 2 - 10.4.8 - QT v7.1.3 - 8GB ram - Radeon 9800Pro - External SATA Raid - Decklink Extreme - Wacom 6x8

Return to posts index

dave Rudolph
on Mar 31, 2007 at 4:04:55 am

Will

Not knowing your position, type of work or personality I am not quite sure what you mean by "for producers and clients in the video village". I am also unclear what function a TC display unit provides in your personal workflow.

Sorry to be so thick and persistent both.

Dave

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Apr 1, 2007 at 2:44:06 am

Dave,
"Video village" is a term used mainly in the film side of the production world to describe the area where producers, clients, and other interested people sit and watch the video assist, or, in the case of a video shoot, the camera output along with an audio feed. It's usually set up away from the actual camera position just to keep chatter down and to keep it out of the way of crew. It's also where a script supervisor or production assistant would sit and take production notes and so a timecode display is very useful for that function. On exteriors, there is usually a tent and drapes to black out daylight so the monitor can be better viewed and, again, to reduce possible sound problems.

Return to posts index

dave Rudolph
on Apr 1, 2007 at 5:06:43 am

This thread has helped clear up one of the more obscure yet personally relevant issues I've yet come across. Envisioning a video village indoors and out is a bonus. That Will Salley's information will also save some major money is a shock.

Happy weekend!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]