FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two wireless transmitters?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremy
Two wireless transmitters?
on Mar 15, 2007 at 5:44:13 pm

Ok, sorry for such an amateur question, but here i go anyways...

I need to wire two subjects with wireless mics. I already own the Sennheiser EW112 wireless set, but it only includes one transmitter. Can wireless mics operate with two transmitters and one receiver, or do i need to get two receivers?

I take it that I just need to get another transmitter (SK100 bodypack transmitter), but just wanted to make sure first.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
Re: Two wireless transmitters?
on Mar 15, 2007 at 6:15:28 pm

This has been tried by eveyone that uses wireless microphones.

You can do it the other way around. Multiple receivers with one transmitter but never the way you suggested.

Ray

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

jeremy
on Mar 15, 2007 at 6:21:05 pm

So, how do I go about wiring a second subject with another mic? Wouldn't I need two transmitters? Kind of lost here.

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Mar 15, 2007 at 6:31:31 pm

If they both need to be on at the same time you will need 2 transmiters and 2 receivers.

Return to posts index

edward  chick
on Mar 15, 2007 at 7:09:29 pm

The correct and trouble free way is to get two SEPARATE transmitters and receivers. Try to get the transmitters on separate frequency blocks if you can. Don't try to hack around the obvious. It will only cause you much frustration and regret later on.

Return to posts index

edward  chick
on Mar 15, 2007 at 7:11:22 pm

What I meant earlier is that both transmitters and receivers should be on separate blocks, not just the transmitters.
Sorry for confusion:)

Return to posts index

jeremy
on Mar 15, 2007 at 8:11:25 pm

OK, now I understand. This was my original opinion on the issue, then I started down the road of two transmitters and one receive... which is obviously a bad idea.

Thanks for all your help. I can always depend on the Cow when I need some advice.

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Mar 16, 2007 at 12:49:43 am

I would reccommend buying the transmitters and receivers on the SAME frequency block. That way if you ever need to shoot with just one subject talking but record the signal on 2 cameras, you can do that. ie. 1 transmitter being picked up on 2 receivers. We recently did this on the Forza Motor Sports showdown on speed tv. The host was on a lav that would be sent to a couple of cameras with receivers on the same block. Most decent wireless systems have about 256 selectable frequencies, so if you do get 2 systems on the same block you have many channels to choose from when you need to run them both at once.

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
Re: Two wireless receivers? less drop-outs
on Mar 16, 2007 at 4:31:00 pm

I use the one transmitter, 2 receivers technique a lot. I wonder since my units are mostly sennheiser g2s (not true diversity) does using 2 receivers substantially reduce the likelihood of dropouts?

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Mar 16, 2007 at 6:43:25 pm

To quote Pat Brown, that depends.
RF Drop outs are due to a reflective or bounced signal arriving 180 degrees out of phase as the primary. A positive sine wave plus a negative sine wave of equal value when combined equals zero. When dealing with UHF RF signals, moving the antenna a few inches will cause the problem to go away. That is why a true diversity receiver has two antennas just a few inches apart. The receiver looks at both antennas and determines which has the better signal.
In your case, with two non-diversity receivers, both are going to experience drop outs but not likely at the same time. That is unless both are tied to the same receiving antenna.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Mar 16, 2007 at 7:01:50 pm

very useful info - thanks Ray

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]