FORUMS: list search recent posts

short-run balnaced vs unbalanced

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Ralph
short-run balnaced vs unbalanced
on Mar 11, 2007 at 11:17:39 pm

I often prefer to record from a single audio source to both audio channels on my camera. I set the gain 6db apart so as to be able to deal with fluctuating audio levels.

On the Canon XHA1 feeding the signal from the onboard mic to both audio channels (using 1/8" connector) allows me to retain discreet control over each channel. If I use an XLR in I can send the signal to both channels but lose control of the individual channels. So my choice is either to use a Y connector and the XLR in or (less cumbersome) use an XLR to 1/8" connector.

My feeling is for longer runs a Y connector would be better ( less strain on the mini plug) but for an onboard mic the XLR to 1/8" would be more manageable. Would such a short run of unbalanced cable likely cause any problems?

With my wireless receivers (sennheiser g2) the output is 1/8" so that cable is going to be unbalanced anyway. Correct?

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: short-run balnaced vs unbalanced
on Mar 12, 2007 at 3:29:44 am

With most wireless mics the cable between the "head" and the transmitter is unbalanced.

Short unbalanced runs of any sort are generally no problem at all (unless you are in a situation of high RF and/or near to AC lines or lighting transformers.)

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: short-run balnaced vs unbalanced
on Mar 12, 2007 at 7:50:08 am

If you split a mic feed with a Y cable, you will have a serious problem with your levels. Use a professional mic splitter box. If it wasn't 1:00 in the morning, I would get off my butt and give you a make and model but I'm not going to.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
Re: Y connection degradation
on Mar 12, 2007 at 1:53:47 pm

Steve - thanks for the heads-up - I had not realized that a Y connection could lower levels. Would it also impact noise levels? I don't know if a box would be that useful in my situation - normally for more elaborate set-ups I am using 2 mics anyway. This is more for run-and-gun type situations where I don't want to have to tweak levels on the fly.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 13, 2007 at 4:41:28 am

It doesn't affect the noise level, just the level overall. Ifyou split a line level feed, it remains the same. This is my experience only. Your results may vary.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Mar 13, 2007 at 3:36:14 pm

I've used Y connectors in the past and have not noticed any significant level drop - but maybe I just didn't notice - most of my experience was with an ME66 which is a very hot mic anyway.

My question about noise was really to do with the cameras preamp - if the level drops significantly then I would expect the signal going to tape to be noticeably more noisy. I'll do some testing with my setup - thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]