FORUMS: list search recent posts

Diff between M4mkII and Alphamix?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason Gillet
Diff between M4mkII and Alphamix?
on Mar 4, 2007 at 10:52:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm going to be purchasing a new audio package and I just came upon a deal for a full package for a great price. My question is what is the main difference between the PSC M4mkII and the new AlphaMix.

Thanks,

Jason

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Diff between M4mkII and Alphamix?
on Mar 5, 2007 at 6:29:57 am

Why not contact PSC and ask them?

Steve Wargo

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

edward  chick
on Mar 5, 2007 at 3:09:47 pm

The M4mkII has analog meters the Alpha LCD. Alpha can feed two cameras via two Hirose direct outs. Also has ta3 outs to go wireless to camera.

edward chick

Return to posts index

Jason Gillet
on Mar 5, 2007 at 8:00:17 pm

Thanks,

This is very helpful. One more quick question. I haven't used either the Alphamix or the 442. I've used the Sound Devices 302 and liked it. I was just turned onto the Alphamix and the M4mkII this weekend and was wondering which would be a better choice the SD 302 or the Alphamix. I'll be on a lot of 2 camera shoots and when doing doc. work I'm usually set up wireless between cam. Depending on the situation of course.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

edward  chick
on Mar 5, 2007 at 10:22:14 pm

Both the SD 302 and the psc Alpha are outstanding mixers for the applications they are designed for. If you are or will be doing a lot of two camera shoots i.e. "Dateline, 60 Minutes style, etc." the Alpha is a better choice because of the direct outs. The 302 has only one set of direct XLR outputs. With the Alpha MIx you could be hard wired to two cameras and still send a wireless feed to another if necessary via the TA3 outs. Alpha mix has four inputs versus the302 has only three.
Brand new the Alpha is only 500.00 or so more than the 302. Alpha also comes ready to be powered by NP1 batteries which will save you money in long run, especially if you are looking to power receivers (Lectros) in the bag. Alpha mix lcd meter screen can be fickle at times.

302 is small, lightweight and has an excellent peak meter gain structure system. To switch between line and mic levels out is software driven and can be frustrating when first working with it. Again depends on what type of location sound work you are/plan on doing and as always your budget.

Horses for courses!

edward chick

Return to posts index

jason Gillet
on Mar 6, 2007 at 1:04:59 am

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go for the Alphamix. Most of the shoots I'm on wind up being 2 cam shoots and the fact that I can add a third camera via wireless that would be very helpful.

Thanks again,

jason

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Also...
on Mar 12, 2007 at 7:57:07 am

the Alpha Mix has two outs by snake connections as well as a pair of XLR outs, so you can send three pair of outputs. It also has T-power so you can power the occasional Sennheiser 416 or other hollywood type mic. The NP1 batteries last a full day. We have had one for several years and it is trouble free.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]