FORUMS: list search recent posts

advice on best way to mic a discussion

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruby Gold
advice on best way to mic a discussion
on Feb 27, 2007 at 4:32:06 am

What would be the best way to mic and record the discussion among a group of technical experts being assembled for discussion related to a research project?

There will be about 18 people, split into two groups. The host of this discussion doesn't want to mic people individually and wants the mics to be as inobtrusive as possible. I'm also wondering what would be the best recording device to use in this situation. The content is not for production, but, I'm assuming to transcribe and use as part of data for the research project.

All help regarding mic types, placement and recording device/media greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave Stenz
Re: advice on best way to mic a discussion
on Feb 27, 2007 at 12:23:22 pm

Good Morning,

Try using "PZM" (Pressure Zone Microphone) style mics. They can be placed on table tops, affixed to walls, ceilings and other surfaces with very good results.

There are a variety of PZMs on the market. Obviously, good quality mics help to produce good quality audio (along with other factors of placement, etc)...

Hope this helps.

Dave

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 27, 2007 at 5:33:48 pm

Well there's a nightmare waiting to happen!

The only way you'll be able to differentiate one voice from another in listening back is to use an automixer.

Forget invisible. You can't afford invisible.

If the two groups are approximately equal in number, 9+9, you can get by with two four channel auto mixers, one for each group, IF each group is sitting around one table. If they are spread out, it's pretty hopeless. Shure and Audio Technica both sell four channel automixers. The also sell eight channnel auto mixers.

If you're really interested in what the people are saying, I'd put an eight channel automixer on each group of nine and set mics on table stands out.
Record to DAT, HD recorder, a computer, etc. That's the least of your worries.

It will be cheaper to hire someone to do this than to buy the gear yourself. You may get lucky with a ocal renatl house.
Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Feb 28, 2007 at 4:24:39 pm

[Ty Ford] "If you're really interested in what the people are saying, I'd put an eight channel automixer on each group of nine and set mics on table stands out."

I agree with Ty. We do this all the time with up to 24 live mics. We use three of the 8 channel Shure automated mic mixers. It works well with our application. It allows us to EQ and set the "Gate" for each mic.

Tip**
If you are doing ANY live PA support at the same time, make sure that all the mics are the same make and model. If not, you will be chasing your tail with different "colored" or sounding mics.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

Ruby Gold
on Feb 28, 2007 at 5:28:24 pm

Thanks everybody for the helpful advice.
Ruby

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]