FORUMS: list search recent posts

how do you think this mic will perform?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lukewarm13
how do you think this mic will perform?
on Feb 23, 2007 at 6:07:08 am

I'm thinking about getting a Behringer B-1 or B-2 studio microphone.

how do you think they will perform for a small recording studio? I want to record vocals for music and possibly voice overs for video. Here is a link to the microphones. thanks.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=2...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=2...

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: how do you think this mic will perform?
on Feb 23, 2007 at 7:06:33 am

Honestly, the mics aren't worth the box come in.

System Info - G5/Dual 2 - 10.4.8 - QT v7.1.3 - 8GB ram - Radeon 9800Pro - External SATA Raid - Decklink Extreme - Wacom 6x8

Return to posts index

lukewarm13
on Feb 23, 2007 at 2:52:25 pm

Instead of making a blunt comment....how about explaining why the mics aren't worth it. What microphone would you recommend? I'm on a budget so I can't just buy a 5,000 $ mic.

thanks

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Feb 23, 2007 at 7:19:14 pm

[lukewarm13] "Instead of making a blunt comment....how about explaining why the mics aren't worth it"

These, and many other "budget" mics, are made in a factory somewhere in - let's just say in a country where the employee assembling the mic has never even seen a picture of the inside of a studio, much less the real thing. They are paid to put part A into part B as fast as they can. If the mic is inspected at all, it is for visual defects and maybe a "does it work" test, not a true performance test as practiced by most manufacturers.

These cheap mics are also made with inferior materials that do not hold up to real-world usage. They may last a few years in a climate-controlled studio, with luck. As an example, all dynamic and condenser microphones have a thin diaphragm made of very delicate material, usually plastic or metal, which is adhered to a fixed magnet. The adhesive used, and the method in which it is applied, effect the lifespan and the quality of the sound of the mic. All the other components are of similar quality and when combined into a whole, it increases the probability that the mic will fail.

While many of these mics may copy the designs of a more respected manufacturer, that is only a third of the equation. Materials and build quality are still inferior - as is, most importantly, the quality of sound.

I say this as someone who has bought and used a few of these mics and experienced a failure with almost every mic (and other products) branded by Behringer. There are many manufacturers, European, Asian, and American who make good products at a good value but some of the better ones are:

Shure
Audix
Sennheiser
Neumann
AKG
Beyerdynamic
Earthworks
CAD
Rode
Electro-Voice
Audio-Technica

The Audix, CAD and Rode brands a very good value in my opinion, but be wary of some of the least expensive product.

...because you asked.

System Info - G5/Dual 2 - 10.4.8 - QT v7.1.3 - 8GB ram - Radeon 9800Pro - External SATA Raid - Decklink Extreme - Wacom 6x8

Return to posts index

Tim Mirande
on Feb 23, 2007 at 5:08:18 pm

Have you been to Ty Ford's site? There's lots of good info out there (http://www.tyford.com)

I would think you should be able to get a really good mic in the $1500 range for what you describe. Of course all depends on your expectation, budget, etc. Naturally, it's not all in the mic - there's quality pre-amps, room treatments, etc.

I've gotten some good VO results from a Shure KSM/44 (800 bucks or there about)

Tim

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 24, 2007 at 12:19:19 pm

Here are some thoughts.

Price is not always an indicator of quality when you look closely at the application. The SM 57 and SM 58 are proof of that on the low end.

There are way too many microphones on the market. It's very easy to get confused.

Many of them come from our friends in China where labor is amazingly cheap. AKG and Audio Technica both have contracts with chinese manufacturers. The AKG Perception and Audio Technica AT2020 lines are made in China under the very watchful eyes of AKG and AT. AT does a QC in China, in Japan (at the main AT factory) and again in the US before those mics enter the market here.

(SIDEBAR)The Chinese also made the Western Style belt I bought from Cow Town Boots which used to be across the street from the Las Vegas Convention center. The first one began to unravel before I got out of town and I exchanged it. The one I took home failed a bout a year later. Crap is crap, but I digress.

You can find almost any configuation mic at almost any price point. Sennheiser, AKG and Audio Technica have been making down market microphones for years for people who can't hear the difference or don't have the money (or both).

I use a Neumann U 89, Schoeps cmc641, Sennheiser 416, Countryman, Sony, Beyer and Audio Technica mics. I use them because I can hear the difference. None of them cost $5000. Not even a Neumann U 87 costs $5000. A U 87 set Z (pop filter, suspension mount, mic, cable and box) is only $2999.

Just because the Behringer looks sort of like a U 87 doesn't mean it sounds as good. The makers of these knock-off mics are hoping you'll fall for that. In europe there are mics that can not be sold because their design is to close to the original item. We're a bit lax in this country. We allow it.

Be aware, BTW, that the preamp one uses makes a very big difference. My studio preamps are GML Millennia Media. My preamps cost about $1k per channel.

Unlike camcorders, good professional mics last years. My U 89 was made over 30 years ago. If you buy "good" once, you don't have to buy again later. I can't afford to buy cheap. My reputation for getting great audio now preceeds me. That doesn't mean I waste a lot of money on over-priced mics. It means I'm in a position to know what a good mic should sound like and I've heard a LOT of mics, good and bad. The reviews I written for trade magazines (many of which are on my site) tell that story pretty well.

Buying those Behringer mics is a decision you'll have to make for yourself. If you can't hear the difference between them and better mics by any manufacturer, knock yourself out, get 'em. However, know that you'll be competing with others with better sounding audio packages.

If you're just messing around with gear in your basement, no problem. If you are running a business and have clients that are depending on you. You better bring the good stuff or you won't last long.

About 10% of my business is reshoots from projects where someone screwed up the audio. The client decided to go cheap and paid for it. I've never lost one of those clients once they hear what my audio sounds like. I've even had shooter/editors call me from the edit bay to say they can hear the difference and are amazed at how much better my audio sounds. I remind them that my choice of gear makes a big difference.

Hope this helps. BTW, I don't own Behringer.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

lukewarm13
on Feb 24, 2007 at 2:59:03 pm

thanks everybody for taking time and replying to this thread. I got a lot of useful information.

Luke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]