FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alternative to Zaxcom ZFR100?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Ferar
Alternative to Zaxcom ZFR100?
on Feb 15, 2007 at 7:01:19 pm

I need a flash recorder that looks and feels like a wireless lav system transmitter. The ZFR100 is a dream come true except for the price tag. I don't need the timecode jam function. I can't beleive that something like this doesn't exist yet considering all the frequency traffic in metro areas these days.

Anyone know of something like the Zaxcom ZFR100?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Alternative to Zaxcom ZFR100?
on Feb 16, 2007 at 10:44:42 am

If you don't need the timecode or wireless function. Try a HIMD recorder. The Sony MZR M200 records 44.1 kHz wav files.

You'd have to sample rate convert to 48 probably and slip and lside the audio against your picture. That's the cheapest solution I know.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
on Feb 16, 2007 at 8:54:16 pm

As usual, Mr. Ford is right on the money. That'd be your cheapest solution that would actually work. There are small SmartMedia recorders around that sell for less, but they usually record in some sort of compressed format, which will compromise lip-sync when you convert it back to WAV or AIFF, much more than a sample rate conversion. I've had to work with recording done on some such machine (an Edirol, I believe) and had to timestretch to sync to picture on same takes. Mini-nightmare. You don't wanna go there.

There really should be more pro options, though.

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 16, 2007 at 9:02:16 pm

Thanks and a hat tip and please pull the cold wave back above the Mason Dixon line. I need to get some brick work done and the mortar needs about 40+ degrees F.

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Feb 16, 2007 at 11:21:52 pm

Ty, Thanks for the reply.

Do you know if the Sony's have a clip on the back? I tried to look at the pictures but couldn't find a shot of the back.

After searching around I found two recorders:

Sony MZ-RH1 and MZ-M200

I need the clip because this is for ENG stuff, interviews etc.

Best.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 17, 2007 at 2:14:24 am

I don't recall a clip.

Just stick it in their pocket.

BTW, I don't like the little mic that comes with it. Yech!
Get a good lav that can be battery powered.

Um, here's my review from Pro Audio Review:

Sony MZ-M200 MiniDisc Recorder
Lilliputian Lifesaver
Ty Ford

When do my singer/songwriter, wedding and event video shooters, radio news interviewers, concert tapers and podcaster friends ask me about inexpensive, high-quality (as in, at least 16/44.1) recording thingees? Always, always and then mostly....always. It

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]