FORUMS: list search recent posts

covering slits on side of shotgun- bad?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Ferar
covering slits on side of shotgun- bad?
on Feb 15, 2007 at 6:51:48 pm

We just got some new ENG cameras and have found that the mic mounts put the shotguns (AT897) further forward than before. Now the cams don't go in the Porta Brace bags without loosening the mounts and pushing the mics backward. Great, but we often need to get rolling as fast as possible, as soon as we arrive. I mean really fast.

I was thinking about just pushing the mics back and keeping them there. The mount however would cover a few of the slits on the side of the mics. The mount would cover up about an inch and a half of slits. Any idea as to how this would affect pick up? Is this a big no no?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: covering slits on side of shotgun- bad?
on Feb 15, 2007 at 7:34:07 pm

Big No No!
The 'slits' in the side of those mics are used to cancel sound pressure (SPL) coming from the sides and, to a degree, the rear of the mic. When they are partially covered, that directionality diminishes, but not only that, the character of the mic becomes thin and hollow because the mic element is designed to have those slits functional.

A better solution may be to find an offset mount for the mics.

System Info - G5/Dual 2 - 10.4.8 - QT v7.1.3 - 8GB ram - Radeon 9800Pro - External SATA Raid - Decklink Extreme - Wacom 6x8

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Feb 16, 2007 at 3:20:28 am

Well, I knew they weren't there for looks.

Thanks for the explanation Will. Appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 16, 2007 at 10:40:27 am

About the same effect as taping over portions of the camera lens.

The slits aren't for ventilation. They are there by design.

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]