FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fixing "hot" audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rocco
Fixing "hot" audio
on Feb 6, 2007 at 3:12:54 am

I'm editing a documetary. It's low budget and was shot on DV (GL2)

A lot of the footage was shot with a clip-on mic, straight to DV. The levels are way to high and whenever the interviewee raises his or her voice the audio breaks up and becomes distorted, and my audio levels indicator shoots up to red.

My gut feelings tell me this cannot be fixed, but I'm no audio pro. What do you think?

THANKS

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Fixing "hot" audio
on Feb 6, 2007 at 3:29:47 am

reshoot filter. :(

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Feb 6, 2007 at 3:36:32 am

Gut feelings are good!

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Feb 6, 2007 at 4:17:01 am

You might try to bring down the overall levels of your source material by about -8 db (in the video editing app). It could be that the high levels are clipping the soundcard inputs and the recorded files are fine - or it could be a combination of both. The meters built into Final Cut Pro are not real accurate and tend to peak prematurely. Other NLE meters also tend to be inaccurate with regards to peak indication.

However, as Ty and Frank alluded to, It IS most likely clipped on tape, so don't get your hopes too high.

System Info - G5/Dual 2 - 10.4.8 - QT v7.1.3 - 8GB ram - Radeon 9800Pro - External SATA Raid - Decklink Extreme - Wacom 6x8

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 6, 2007 at 3:34:05 pm

Ah,

I was thinking you were bringing in the audio and video via Firewire. Is this not he case?

If you're bringing it in via analog and it's distorted, plug in a headset and listen. If it's not distorted in the headset, there's something wrong with your transfer method.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Feb 6, 2007 at 7:41:42 am

Might as well commit suicide. If you've had your life insurance for more than two years, your family can still collect.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

rocco
on Feb 6, 2007 at 5:08:23 pm

Thanks for the help and funny comments...

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
on Feb 6, 2007 at 8:04:16 pm

If possible, book some ADR time.

Otherwise, you may be able to take some of the edge off by EQ out a bit of the higher frequencies. If you were recording the on-camera mic to a second channel, you may be able to briefly rely on it during the worst of the distortion (mix judiciously to avoid making it overly apparent).

Do you know where the distortion was introduced? Were you just hitting the recorder's inputs too hard, or were you overloading a wireless transmitter? Knowing exactly what caused the problem will go a long way towards avoiding it in the future.

We've all been there. The important thing is to keep it from happenning again.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 6, 2007 at 8:35:49 pm

Which, by the way, means ALWAYS LISTEN.

the second corollary of which is, ALWAYS LISTEN.

Regards,

Ty (not trying to be a nag, just the voice of experience.) Ford

Return to posts index

Tim Mirande
on Feb 7, 2007 at 2:25:11 pm

Amen.

Tim (who seems to have learned every important lesson - the hard way)

BTW, I bought your book a while ago and love it. Short, sweet and to the point. Lots of great info to quickly get up-to-speed on audio for video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]