<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryandconnolly
Monitor Set Up
on Feb 1, 2007 at 2:48:41 pm

I have the following
1. Yamaha HS 50m monitors
2. Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro mixer
3. BlackMagic Multibridge Pro

My question is, how do I set this up to monitor sound from my computer, and is it even compatible? I will be using it for editing on Adobe, and audio on audition. I didn't do the purchasing but now I'n stuck with set-up! Please help.

Thanks

Return to posts index

drenkrom
Re: Monitor Set Up
on Feb 7, 2007 at 6:56:34 pm

First off, it is compatible.

The MultiBridge Pro seems to have a pair of XLR analog outputs, from what I found on their website. You'd be plugging that into two line inputs on the Mackie. The line inputs on that desk are on 1/4" connectors so you'll need cables that go from XLR-F to 1/4"-M. Do not plug into the XLR inputs on the Mackie, as those are mic-level. You'll have to pan your first channel hard-left and the sercond one hard-right to get a stereo image, and you'll have to level both faders by hand, as there seems to be no stereo channels on this Mackie desk. Since you won't be moving that around, just tape them into place. So now your audio gets into the desk and to its stereo output.

Your Yamaha speakers are powered so you don't need an amp. just plug your desk's left and right main outputs to your left and right speaker inputs. Both outs and ins are on 1/4" connectors in your case. Power up from the inside out (ie: CPU, then desk, then speakers) and set your levels through your desk input channel faders (which you then tape), the desk output fader (which is now your monitoring volume control) and your speakers' input trims.

Basically, the Mackie will serve as a volume control. That's one big volume button! You could wire the Multibridge audio outs directly to the speaker inputs, but that would mean all volume control must be done in the computer, which can be a major pain. If you have a little budget, many very affordable monitoring boxes exist that would insert between the computer and speakers and give you simple volume and channel controls. The first to come to mind is: http://www.mackie.com/products/bigknob/index.html though more affordable and more complex solutions exist.

Hope this gets you through the process of setting up the system. May the sound-Gods be with you and may the system work on first boot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]