FORUMS: list search recent posts

Phase cancellation problem?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob O'Brien
Phase cancellation problem?
on Jan 30, 2007 at 2:47:14 pm

I'm NOT an audio professional... so please be gentle!

My client called complaining that the audio mix was all messed up on a VHS tape I made for him - the music was over-powering the narration bigtime.

So, he sent the tape back to me and it sounded just fine (playing through a stereo playback set-up), but when I panned both channels to the center on my Mackie board, I experienced the same problem (the narration almost completely goes away). Phase cancellation, right? And what can I do to eliminate the problem? I have to make sure the tape sounds okay regardless of a stereo or mono playback set-up.

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: Phase cancellation problem?
by
on Jan 30, 2007 at 3:20:42 pm

Delete one of the two tracks that the voice is on, then PAN the remaining track to centger and increase its LEVEL by about 3-6 dB to compensate for the other track being removed.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Jan 30, 2007 at 4:32:01 pm

You should also make sure that everything is wired correctly and that no phase reverse switches are pressed...the one that looks like a zero with a slash throught it....so that you don't have any problems in the future.
Peter

Return to posts index

Bob O'Brien
on Jan 30, 2007 at 5:09:56 pm

Shall do. Thanks guys!

Bob

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 30, 2007 at 8:51:47 pm

Always check a stereo mix for mono compatibility, by switching the monitors to mono during a mix and listening for centre image losses.
If there is something inherently difficult in the mix that is mono lossy, narrow the width of the mix through panning. you can also lessen the effect of phase cancellation by dropping one of the 2 legsback a bit.

peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]