FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Interface suggestions/help/experience?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
WizardPoet
Audio Interface suggestions/help/experience?
on Jan 23, 2007 at 6:33:38 pm

Hello all. I am new in getting started with my production suite (more so in the beginning phases of building a modest home suite) and want to use a reliable and affordable audio interface.

In doing some research, I've come across M-Audio's Firewire 410 and M-Audio's Firewire Audiophile. I won't be doing any serious recording, just need a pass through to monitor surround sound. I know more advance systems are out there (especially for surround), but I'm on a strict cash flow and wish to use "entry-level" equipment to get my feet wet; tinker around.

The 410 sounded like a good solution for what I needed, but have read mixed reviews about the drivers for the unit. When I saw that the Audiophile was cheaper than the 410, I was more intrigued in buying it, since it had the feature I was looking for.

I am new to all of this and would like any suggestions and opinions in the matter. Again, I'm not a pro and don't have much to dish out, so any informatioin that can be offered would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: Audio Interface suggestions/help/experience?
on Jan 30, 2007 at 7:50:03 pm

I'm not sure from your post what you are trying to do. Do you want to produce material mixed in surround sound (5.1)?
If you do, then neither of the units you mentioned will work....you need 6 discreet inputs and 6 discreet outputs.
Let us know if that is indeed what you are trying to do, or if I have misunderstood your post.
Peter

Return to posts index

WizardPoet
on Jan 30, 2007 at 11:14:05 pm

Well, I was trying for something a bit more basic. I'm a true novice when it comes to actual sound production and just want to 'toy' around with what mixing a surround soundtrack would be like. (Granted, I know that 'sounds' odd.)

Based on your reply, I take it the six discrete outputs would be for the monitors, but would the inputs be from a mixer? And if so, where would the mixer than be connected to?

Could there be another way to monitor each channel, without more equipment, if for only a 'rough' approach?

Thanks for your reply.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Jan 31, 2007 at 3:47:15 am

[WizardPoet] "Could there be another way to monitor each channel, without more equipment, if for only a 'rough' approach?"

Not that I know of.
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]