FORUMS: list search recent posts

plugging into a sound system?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aprildentist
plugging into a sound system?
on Jan 23, 2007 at 5:21:55 am

Hi there,

I posted this in Event Videography but haven't gotten any response, so thought I'd try here --

Pardon my novice question, I'm an editor not a shooter -- a band would like me to shoot them at a club and would like me to hook into the sound system so that the audio is fairly good quality (at least better than using just the on-camera mic). Can anyone suggest how do I do this and what accessories I would need?

All I have is a GL2 and a beachtek, absolutely no audio equipment to speak of. I can get another camera to dedicate to audio if necessary.

Any advice or tips on articles I can check out online?

Much thanks!
Saya

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
Re: plugging into a sound system?
on Jan 23, 2007 at 4:33:40 pm

This might happen to you.
If you do tie into their mixer, you will get a "house" mix. What the band will ask for, after the shoot, is a way to change the mix. You will be limited to EQ changes to the entire mix and not be able to bring up vocals or reduce the drums, etc.

This has happened to me a couple of times and the best solution I came up with was to use a split snake and split all of the mics and instuments to both the house mixer and a seperate feed to a seperate mixer and then to a multi-track recorder. The multi-track recorder recorded each channel seperatly. This allowed us to do a remix after the shoot.

This is alot more equipment and challenge than what you asked for but I will bet you a beer or two that the band will want to remix the set after your shoot.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

aprildentist
on Jan 24, 2007 at 5:17:19 am

Ray, thanks so much for your post -
follow up question.... the band is pretty low-key as far as their expectations, the couple of other times I've shot them with just the on-camera mic, they were fine with the audio. They just need one night of clearer/crisper audio, so I think they'll be ok with the house mix. But I appreciate the heads up, good info to know about separate channels!

How do I go about tying into their mixer? Totally clueless as to what equipment that would entail.

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Jan 24, 2007 at 1:56:43 pm

Can you get the make and model number of the mixer that they will be using along with the model of your Beachtek? We can then see what your options would be and how the mixer will be labeled.
My best advice is to use headphones and monitor the audio at your camera. Listen for distortion or loss of signal during the entire session.

Most Beachtek only have a microphone level in and most mixers only offer a line level out.

Ray

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Jan 24, 2007 at 4:30:45 pm

[Ray Palmer] "Most Beachtek only have a microphone level in and most mixers only offer a line level out."

That statement about Beachtek made me check their website.
http://www.beachtek.com/products.html

I think every one of the camera input units has a "mic-line" switch on each channel.

So it should be no problem feeding from the board at line-level.
That said, there is absolutely no way to tell just WHAT KIND of MIX you will be getting from the board.

Since this same Q is also posted on the "Event Video" board with many answers, I'll step away from the keyboard at this time.

;)

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 25, 2007 at 8:34:13 pm

Get whoever is on the mixer to give you a line level AUX feed post fader. Pick this off the desk on whatever connection it is and plug to the camera.
It depends on the mix/ mixer and the desk if its a stereo feed.

Or you could get a desk stereo out. Set camera to correct input sensitivity and away you go.
Nb dont be tempted to try to record too hot/high/loud. Take a level and drop it back a bit so youve a bit of space between what you had at level and distortion if it gets a bit hot.

Peter

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Jan 26, 2007 at 11:00:17 pm

Peter is correct!
And monitor the audio with headphones for the entire session.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]