FORUMS: list search recent posts

Movie Trailer Narrator Voice Settings

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gearshift.TV
Movie Trailer Narrator Voice Settings
on Jan 21, 2007 at 6:29:08 am

I am trying to get a voice over to sound like one of those guys in a movie trailer. What are the main filters and settings I should be playing with to get that really crispy tone from a voice. I'm sure it is a combination of EQ, reverb, compression, etc... I'd like to know some specific settings and the order in which the settings should be applied if anyone has experience doing this.

Jim

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: Movie Trailer Narrator Voice Settings
on Jan 22, 2007 at 4:07:39 pm

No reverb.
No EQ.

[Gearshift.TV] "What are the main filters and settings I should be playing with to get that really crispy tone from a voice"

You should be playing with a real good, large-diaphragm microphone.

Heavy compression (8:1 with -30 threshold, medium attack, slow release) (note: These figures mean nothing if the input level is not calibrated)

BUT, Don't expect it to sound like the movie trailer vo guys - even most vo talent will not have the delivery and voice quallty to match.

System Info - G5/Dual 2 - 10.4.8 - QT v7.1.3 - 8GB ram - Radeon 9800Pro - External SATA Raid - Decklink Extreme - Wacom 6x8

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 23, 2007 at 3:37:29 am

Right. It's in the throat, not in the box.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

drenkrom
on Feb 7, 2007 at 7:18:49 pm

You really do need to have one of those guys in front of the mic. When you do, there is nothing special to do to get that ballsy voice. If you don't have one, you should be boosting a little bit of lows and highs while tracking (both with shelving filters). You want your talent way up close to the mic, using two pop filters if necessary. You should instruct him to push out the sound with his stomach, not his throat as he will most probably try to do. That just sounds cartoonish, not authentic. Once recorded, using a multiband compressor to compress the low-mids and lows more than the rest of the spectrum and then boosting those bands by the same number of dBs you get on gain reduction will get you someway towards giving balls to your VO. Won't turn Mickey into Isaac Hayes, but goes some way to making the talent sound bigger.

The ideal is to get someone with that voice. Tracking those guys on big speakers with a really good big mic tingles my spine every time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]