FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to Import OMF into ProTools but cant afford DigiTranslator - any other options?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JoshNeal
Need to Import OMF into ProTools but cant afford DigiTranslator - any other options?
on Jan 17, 2007 at 10:48:21 pm

I have a PC based ProTools system and I need to import an OMF file into a ProTools Session but I dont have the pricey DigiTranslator. Is there any other way to go about this? I found a utility called Digidesign OMF Tool which does the conversion free. The problem is that this app is Mac only and for an older version of protools (around 5.0). Is there any PC app that can do this free? Im not sure if im going to need to export back to OMF when im done tweaking the sound - but for now I just want to be able to import the audio into protools. Also if anyone is in the NYC area and has DigiTranslator or knows where I can go to get this done for cash that would be great too.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Need to Import OMF into ProTools but cant afford DigiTranslator - any other options?
on Jan 25, 2007 at 8:35:28 pm

No other options available for importing an omf. No translator, no omf import.

Try getting the files as .wavs or aifs track by track, but you lose the handles.
peter

Return to posts index

stephen muir
Re: Need to Import OMF into ProTools but cant afford DigiTranslator - any other options?
on Jan 27, 2007 at 7:34:36 am

If you're using ProTools LE, the DV Toolkit option will allow OMF in/out in addition to other handy features. Its still overpriced, in my oppinion, but its a solid investment for post work.

Bouncing the entire timeline track-by-track as WAV files is certainly an alternative, but there'll be a lot of extra work involved if you want to have handles on all audio regions. If you have to go this route, consider "checkerboarding" the audio regions in the picture edit, then pulling out the start and end of all regions a bit. That'll give you the handles you need, although you'll have to go in and tighten up all the regions by hand (using the EDL as a guide) once you migrate the tracks into ProTools. Oh yeah, don't forget to have a 2-beep and tail pop on each and every track you export, or you'll be setting yourself up for a real headache. Come to think of it, always have a 2-beep and tail-pop on every track whether you're exporting via OMF, AAF, bounced WAV's, or even analogue multitrack.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]