FORUMS: list search recent posts

levels.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Montgomery
levels.
on Nov 16, 2006 at 7:52:38 pm

Hi there,

I am editing the speeches for a wedding video. The audio is generally good but between the speeches there is "audience clapping" which peaks.

How do I use the compressor in Soundtrack Pro to bring the audio down to a reasonable level. What should my dynamic range be for DVD (-18db -> -6db ???). Is it neccessary to use the expander to lift audio if it is below -18 db.

You help is much appreciated.

iMac G5 / Production Suite with Soundtrack Pro.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: levels.
on Nov 16, 2006 at 9:15:47 pm

Hi David,
Good starting point settings for a compressor for speech are:
Set the threshold to 0. This tells the compressor to leave uncompressed any signal that stays below 0, and to compress any signal that exceeds 0.
Set the ratio to 3:1. This is how much compression will occur when the threshold is exceeded. For every 3 dB over the threshold an incoming signal goes, the compressor will output only 1 dB.
I'm not familiar with Soundtrack Pro, so I don't know what other parameters you can adjust, but other common ones are attack, which tells the compressor how fast to react to a signal;
release, which means how quickly to "let go" of a signal; and output or makeup gain.
In your case, if the dialogue is not peaking but the applause is, adjust the threshold so that the compressor only "works" during the peaking sections. Adjust the ratio to get the applause to stay out of the red.
In general, if you are getting more than around 6 dB of comression on speech, then you need to back something off, either the ratio or the threshold, because you will begin to hear what is called "pumping" as the compressor alternately compresses and releases the signal.
Peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: levels.
on Nov 18, 2006 at 1:24:42 am

I wouldn't use the compressor. I'd capture the loud claps and reduce their volume.

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]