FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto Audio Balance?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
topher944
Auto Audio Balance?
on Nov 15, 2006 at 5:07:29 am

Any good/free apps that will auto balance audio levels. I'm really tired of guys delivering tapes supposed to be masters with audio levels all over the place - all within the same scene/ and some the same shot even! Thanks in advance for your knowledge. Kind Regards, Chris K.

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: Auto Audio Balance?
by
on Nov 15, 2006 at 5:29:47 am

The stand-alone device is called a "Compressor/Limiter."

There are scores of them availalble.

There are plug-in filters in editing software that perform this task as well.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 15, 2006 at 1:48:58 pm

If its so bad just reject the content.
I recently had a tv commercial rejected by a broadcaster in the UK because the audio peaked 1/4 of a db over peak on the left channel only on their meters (which didnt even register as an over on my PPMs)

If its your job to police it for your organisation then make them deliver to the spec you define. If its not your job then leave it alone as its been supplied as a mix, presumably the way they want it to be. A compressor will change the sound so you need to be sure if its in your remit to alter anyone elses work.

Id be livid if a broadcaster (or ANYONE for that matter changed my mix without my knowlege)

Peter

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Nov 16, 2006 at 2:23:31 am

[Peter Groom] "Id be livid if a broadcaster (or ANYONE for that matter changed my mix without my knowlege)"

Don't know of any networks and stations that don't use compressor/limiters on the output to the transmitter.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 16, 2006 at 9:18:16 am

"Don't know of any networks and stations that don't use compressor/limiters on the output to the transmitter."

Agreed, but they are in my experience in the UK set up only to limit any excursions over peak that may cause overs or clipping. The audio beneath that is unchanged (which is where my mix resides).

Peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 15, 2006 at 7:04:16 pm

[topher944] "Any good/free apps that will auto balance audio levels. I'm really tired of guys delivering tapes supposed to be masters with audio levels all over the place - all within the same scene/ and some the same shot even! Thanks in advance for your knowledge. Kind Regards, Chris K."

Hi,

None that I know of that don't drastically change the dynamics of the content.

These are mixed masters rather than source tapes?

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]