FORUMS: list search recent posts

BWF-P?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard
BWF-P?
on Nov 6, 2006 at 9:30:21 pm

Sorry for the dumb question..

I was mostly doing eng/doc stuff and going stright to camera XLR from a mixer. Well, I wanted a backup, and the ability to record without camera, so I bought a Sound Devices 702T.

I have a few questions:

1) With this device I can create .WAV files, and .BWF files. Whats the difference?

2) .BWF-M and .BWF-P whats the differenece, why use one over the other?

3) Did a test .BWF-P file, placed it into FCP.. It plays, but I don't see anything like timecodes, or special text??

4) Lets say I do a film job. I create a file for each take. I give them the WAVs or BWFs files.. do they take that to telecine? or place into FCP?

Just some basics.. Thanks
-Richard

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: BWF-P?
on Nov 7, 2006 at 3:56:26 am

[Richard] "1) With this device I can create .WAV files, and .BWF files. Whats the difference?

2) .BWF-M and .BWF-P whats the differenece, why use one over the other?

3) Did a test .BWF-P file, placed it into FCP.. It plays, but I don't see anything like timecodes, or special text??

4) Lets say I do a film job. I create a file for each take. I give them the WAVs or BWFs files.. do they take that to telecine? or place into FCP?"

.BWF are broadcast wave files. They have meta data chunks. If the data in the .BWF files is useful (or readable) by your system, use it.

.BWV-P (if that's a poly-wave file) may or may not contain timecode. I don't have direct info about poly wav files and FCP, But I think I remember hearing that (at this time) you need an import software to make the poly-wave file open properly.

Yes, that what they use for telecine or FCP.

If you don't get a solid answer here, try the newsgroup rec.arts.movies.production.sound

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Will I Am
on Nov 7, 2006 at 8:36:38 am

Sebsky Tools is needed to bring BWF files into FCP with the Metadata intact. There use to be a site for Sebsky tools but I think it went down. You can find more info on it here:

http://dharmafilm.com/support/forum/

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Nov 8, 2006 at 3:18:27 am

[Will I Am] "Sebsky Tools is needed to bring BWF files into FCP with the Metadata intact"

This feature was added -and works well - in version FCP 5.1.2.

When doing film work, or any recording for other editors, ask them ahead of time what format they want (bit rate/sampling rate/timecode format/mono or poly/wav or bwf). If they leave it up to you, or you just can't get a good answer, which is all too often, go with 24-bit/48k/29.97/mono/.bwf. It's not a "standard" but it is the most compatible with FCP, Avid, and Pro tools. Pro tools will not open poly files directly. A general rule of thumb is that if the film is transferred for TV use, it should be slated and audio should be encoded with 29.97 (NTSC) or 25 (PAL), regardless what the actual frame rate is on the camera. If the piece is going to be cut on film or will be for theatrical release, 23.97 is the preferred rate.

Many post houses I have worked with still take the audio data files to the transfer house for syncing during the transfer. If appropriate, explain to them that they could possibly save money by syncing the shots during editing instead. Many producers are still uninformed of the ease which these files will sync. On the other hand, it may not save money if the transfer house charges less for audio sync than the post house charges for similar work.

I use my 744T with an external HD to capture (I also go to the internal HD). When the shoot is over I simply give the producer the HD and log sheet. They can use these files directly and have the drive available for future use. It's well worth the $250 for the drive.

Return to posts index

Will I Am
on Nov 8, 2006 at 2:01:29 pm

"This feature was added -and works well - in version FCP 5.1.2."

Good to know. I ended up doing all the research on figuring out how to bring 744t files into FCP last year. Nice to know FCP integrated this feature now.

Return to posts index

andreas_kiel
on Nov 30, 2006 at 11:37:50 am

Just found this thread and thought it is helpful if I'll add some stuff for "later searchers".

BWF-P is readable since QT 7.1 and FCP 5.0
BWF Timestamp is readable since FCP 5.1.2 - but this doesn't mean that the timestamp is interpreted correctly, since it is interpreted based upon the setup FCP had at launch time. The audio setup of 29.97 DF is currently not supported with FCP 5.1.2. So audio recordings using this setup will show up with wrong TC. Otherwise if the audio TC settings will match the FCP launch settings it will work.
BWF Metadata are not read by any version of FCP, so scene, take, note, tape are not available after import.
You can use a third party app like my BWF2XML for that.
Some global metadata support i.e. track names are not available (for any format FCP can read), linking or merging files will inherit the track name from the "master" - though you can still do it in a sequence. The latter way of working and synching might be tedious.

Regards
Andreas

Andreas Kiel

Spherico
Nelkenstr. 25
D-76135 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49 (0)721 183 9753
eFax: +1 650 897 8094

eMail: kiel@spherico.com
http://spherico.com/filmtools -- some workflow tools for FCP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>