FORUMS: list search recent posts

RE: PTools and PCI-e Video Cards

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aka Bead
RE: PTools and PCI-e Video Cards
on Oct 19, 2006 at 7:52:36 am

Hello there,

Has somerone ever tried to run Ptools and a PCI-e Video card (decklink extreme) on a same computer? Running audio tracks whilst trying to output QT video at the same time?VVTR?

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: RE: PTools and PCI-e Video Cards
on Oct 28, 2006 at 8:45:02 pm

HI there
I have a mac using a Decklink pro card and it runs Virtual VTR perfectly. I havent attempted to use vvtr with pro tools (which also does run on the same mac) as pt runs its own video layer just fine.
What are you trying to do.
Is it not working
Is it VVTR Pro

My use for VVTR is as a pix pb device (rather than using a digi beta vtr) when the system is slaving along to an AMS Audiofile DAW.

Are you aware of the yahoo group for VVTR???

Hope i / we can help eachother

Peter

Return to posts index

Aka Bead
on Oct 30, 2006 at 8:31:40 am

Hi Peter;

Whilst I received your e-mail i've managed to work something out. Yes Intel Mac's may run Ptools and Decklink under the same CPU, yes as you say with its own videoline but no not slaving it through VVTR (it cannot handle these two apps, it takes two much cpu and freezes the mac); there's a way around it as the decklink can throughput video through PTools videoline behaving as a second display device but handling much many more video codecs than any other cheaper video out solutions. VVTR is a powerful RS-422 and genlock'able' application than can slave'n'sync when capturing and/or running towards other DAW's such as AMS Audiofile (by the way, I run 16 of them if that might provide any help/clue). Thanks Pete, lets keep in touch!

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 4, 2006 at 6:45:07 pm

HI Aka
Youve got 16 Ams Audiofiles??

I currently just use VVTR when using AMS AF, but when PT I use pt own video track.

What file type do you fing works best in PT. I use Motion JPEG Atype on VVTR and is smooth on 9pin control, but a bit shaky in pT.

Are u in the UK or USA or elsewhere.

Cheers

peter

Return to posts index

Aka Bead
on Nov 14, 2006 at 12:17:40 pm

Hi Peter;
Yes, I run 16 AMS Audiofiles.
MJPEGA renders really shaky on PT. No answers why yet this happens but i'm still on it. All other videos which are "sourced" from a different codec than MJPAEGA run smooth. I guess this thread should be addressed to someone from Blackmagic...
Top'o'the mornin to ya!

Bead.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 15, 2006 at 1:58:41 pm

HI AKA
So where are your 16 afs. UK? Are they Spectras or SCs. Are u upgrading any to the new SCX.
Have you been following the debate on AMS Neve Users Forum regarding the direction of the platform?

Peter

Return to posts index

Aka Bead
on Nov 21, 2006 at 5:58:19 pm

Hi Peter.
Spain based. 3 SC's vs 13 S systems, a couple of MediaToolboxes and a Starnet solution, 2 Logic 3's, a Logic 2 and 2 DFC's.
I do have acces to a AMS Neve Forum managed by themselves but it's been long since I last accessed it. Not particularly stimulated by them anymore.
Are there any really challenging new news?
The big picture is...I've been able to spend some time heading towards other landscapes trying to breathe some fresh air so we can steer towards the best environment...you know, trying to grow again.
Best,
Bead

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 27, 2006 at 8:40:13 pm

An impressive line up. The guys in Burnley at AMS have been developing the latest upgrade to the Audiofle - The SCX, but the feeling on the forum is that for AF to have a real future it has to compete much more head on with the likes of Pro Tools and Nuendo and Still offer the AMS range of benefits for a lot less money!
Time will see where it goes.

What is the name of your studio complex
I work at Dene Films in Newcastle in the UK and use a mix of AF and PT.

Cheers

Peter

Return to posts index

Aka Bead
on Nov 30, 2006 at 11:57:45 pm

Hi Peter;
Visit http://www.soundtrack-bcn.com
We too use a mix of PT and AF. I'm still working out the best video solution for the whole facility.
Any suggestions?
Bead.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 2, 2006 at 9:02:00 am

HI Aka
Well as Ive said, I use VVTR and do like it. Word is that AVID are making (not released yet) a competitor to VVTR which will run on a stand alone PC platform. Ill find out what its called for you but cant remember just now.

There is a good yahoo user group for Virtual VTR. Are you familiar with it?

Cheers

peter
p.groom1@which.net

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 3, 2006 at 1:53:13 pm

HI Aka
Ive looked at your site, although your English is obviously much better than my Spanish.
Looks very good all the same.

The Virtal VTR group is at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/virtualvtr

Ams Audiofile group is at
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/AMS-Neve-Users

Although the AMS group is a closed group and youd probably need to speak to AMS in Burnley UK to gain access.

Cheers

Peter

Return to posts index

Aka Bead
on Dec 3, 2006 at 8:25:30 pm

Hi Peter;
Thanks for the compliments on my english. I had a look at your site too!
I'm more fond of structure/hardware pics though it looks good too.
Thanks for details on VVTR (it confirms reliability w AF which I wasn't quite sure of).
On regards to the AMS forum, they never say too much there do they!
Thanks again,
Keep in touch.
Bead.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 9, 2006 at 8:56:39 am

I dont know about not saying too much. The ams neve users group is actually not in ams control, but they do observe and occasionally comment on it. I just think that getting you on it would be easiest via ams.
People are often very harsh with their comments and expectations of ams.

If uou send me your direct email address, ill send back some of the more interesting posts of recent months.

NB re VVTR, Gallery are very helpful on an individual basis for any little issues people have, and have just posted a new manual. Have you got it (do you want it)

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]