FORUMS: list search recent posts

going from FCP into ProTools

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Ward
going from FCP into ProTools
on Oct 4, 2006 at 1:59:56 am

I am NOT a sound guy at all. I have some friends (read "low budget") who have finished Full Sail school for audio production. I want to clean up the audio for a documentary that I will show at film festivals. Audio has things like ceiling fans, AC, echos, etc that I'd like to reduce and make as clean as possible. I've agreed to let my friends help me since they have protools and have used it on a few projects.

What is the workflow to get the audio to them? Obviously I don't think it's send them a mixed down aiff version of the whole thing.

-trevor ward
http://www.redeyevideoproductions.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
Re: going from FCP into ProTools
on Oct 4, 2006 at 2:16:07 am

First off, make sure that you haven't printed in any processing (gain, normalization, etc.) If you have, try to provide an alternate "clean" version on another track. Next, ask whether they have access to Digitranslator (included in both DVtoolkit 1 and 2 for ProTools LE).

If so, you're in luck. Simply output a self-contained video clip of the picture (whatever flavour your audio post folk prefer, just don't forget the burn-in and 2-pop), and export the audio tracks via OMF (2 to 10 second handles on all clips). Digitranslator will in turn allow them to import the OMF session into a ProTools session.

Let the sound editorial team do their magic, and book yourself some time in a mixing theatre. Meanwhile, if you feel the need to further refine your picture edit, remember to provide the audio post team with a detailed change list along with new picture and OMF versions.

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Oct 4, 2006 at 3:07:27 pm

To add to what Stephen said: The audio sweeting process is usually started AFTER "picture lock", when all visual editing is complete. You can color correct but you can't do anything that would put the rest of the timeline out-of-sync.

[Stephen Muir] "Meanwhile, if you feel the need to further refine your picture edit, remember to provide the audio post team with a detailed change list along with new picture and OMF versions."

I would recommend against this, having been on both sides of many sessions. A new OMF import usually means you have to start over, except for saved effects.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 5, 2006 at 3:36:54 pm

Or......maybe it's time to jump into SoundTrack Pro. The import/export routine since FCP 5.1.1 is a little easier and ther eare a lot of effects in SoundTrack Pro.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]