FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thanks Matte and Ray

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Redflag
Thanks Matte and Ray
on Sep 29, 2006 at 7:20:42 am

Hi there

Re the mixer hum.Had the mixer ground checked and all was ok.After setting up for test with all cables etc the mixer hum is coming from the CRT field monitor.But only when its very close ,like 6inches away or so,and goes at about 2ft,and when mic cable was very close.

The mixer place told me that will happen with any mixer and its a characteristic of CRT monitors.Iam not the soundguy,as you can guess Iam sure,just that the guy I was working with didnt say this.

Is it because he didnt know,or the mixer place is giving me a snow job? had same hum off another mixer of the same model at rental place.

But anyway thanks again for your time

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Thanks Matte and Ray
on Sep 29, 2006 at 10:01:03 am

Any audio operator who doesn't know about "sync buzz" coming from close proximity to a monitor, or who does not FIRST check for hum by moving cables and other gear away from possible noise-generating sources, does not have much practical experience.

If its not THE first thing you learn the first morning in
"Audio Trouble-shooting 101",
its certainly the first thing you learn after lunch-break the first day. ;-)

But now that YOU know, you will never forget it.

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Sep 29, 2006 at 11:35:04 am

haha well he did sort of know I think....but thought it was a grounding problem....which I last had aged 12 after pulling the head off my sisters doll.

Anyway yes next time it happens I,ll move the monitor!!

What is the actual technical reason for this?...in a form that idiots can understand

Your servant

Return to posts index

Matte
on Sep 29, 2006 at 2:45:10 pm

In a CRT monitor, here are high-frequency circuits and "electromagnets" (coils) that create the "sweeps" of the electron beams which scan the image onto the front of the CRT.

Any kind of electromagnetism generates Radio Frequency (RF) fields that can "get into" cables and gear that are within a given range of these.

Lighting dimmers and even just the AC extension cords used in the shoot can radiate hum into mics, cables and other gear.

Careful placement of all cables, etc. should be SOP on a shoot.

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Sep 29, 2006 at 4:19:36 pm

Ok thanks for your time

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]