FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basics of sweetening

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
evrard
Basics of sweetening
on Sep 25, 2006 at 7:54:51 am

Hi all,

I am really illiterate as to audio. A friend of mine that does singing for a living have tried to explain me the professional steps to create a new song. After the writings etc, they have to come to the studio for recording, then the master piece needs to go a step further which she calls SWEETENING. After this post-production step, namely "sweetening", the final song is then ready for broadcasting, distribution, etc.

I am trying to know more about what, technologically speaking, the basics of sweetening are. Who does it, what tools do they use, how does it work, why is it necessary? Is it something for the geeks only or anybody can learn? where to go to learn? Any book, website, DVD to suggest?

Please give as much details as you can since iam really not advanced on this topic but i really need to know. Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Basics of sweetening
on Sep 25, 2006 at 8:12:04 pm

"Sweetening" is actually a very generic term like "production."

Each project and each producer can have a unique set of sweetening steps.

Sometimes it correcting the pitch of the singer(s) voice or instrument.
Sometimes its adding strings or other instrumental or vocal tracks to round-out the mix.
Sometimes its where the extra "hooks" of drum-machines or other electronic percussive sounds or digital samples are added.
Sometimes it can just be the final mixing steps when the balance and selection of takes is decided.

Its a very broad term and a very broad field of endeavor.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Sep 28, 2006 at 12:54:08 pm

There is a great article entitled "Audio Techniques for Video Editors" in the first issue of Creative Cow Magazine that covers audio "sweetening" using the most common types of audio filters, what they do, how to use them to sweeten or repair audio files in video edits, how to balance levels, and lastly, how to remove unwanted sounds, etc., from your files.

You can sign up for a free subscription and can download the PDF of the first issue here at http://www.creativecowmagazine.net

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

evrard
on Sep 28, 2006 at 4:16:45 pm

Many thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]