FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording High Quality Audio over a telephone

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ric Christoferson
Recording High Quality Audio over a telephone
on Sep 20, 2006 at 1:42:58 pm

One of our clients wants to use a voice over talent in a remote city and they have suggested that we could simply record his audio over a phone.

Is there a system that we could use where he would have a quality mic at his office, be able to monitor our conversation with headphones, we could talk to him and record the audio in our studio??

thanks for your reply.

ric

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Recording High Quality Audio over a telephone
on Sep 20, 2006 at 2:24:59 pm

1. Don't do it "over the phone" (its not possible, anyway).

2. You could record to an audio file on a computer and then email that file.

3. You could be LISTENING and directing over the phone (but not recording that way for Actual USE.
But getting a hih-quality mic connected and setting up the proper acoustic conditions in an office
will be problematic.

4. To save thousand hassles and poor-quality results, have the person go to a local recording studio where the tech there set it up to allow you to moninor and direct the session over the phone.

5. Then the recording tech can burn a CD of the session and overnight it, or, if time is very critical, email you the files.

There are DSL links, of course, but if you don't have one, the above mehtod(s) will work for you.

Return to posts index

Ric Christoferson
on Sep 20, 2006 at 2:36:39 pm

thanks for your reply... but this must be done as described... Script submitted at 10AM and audio needs to be recorded by noon... timing of the voice over is exact so I need to be able to hear and record the different cuts.

I have found this device..

http://www.jkaudio.com/compack_dtails.htm

but I guess I would need two of them.. one at remore location and one in studio..

ric

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Sep 20, 2006 at 6:02:18 pm

It is not the (goes-into and goes-out-of) that will make you unhappy with the quality. It is the bandwidth of standard phone lines or POTS. Plain Old Telephone System.
The best mic in the world will have its low end stripped by the bandwidth of the telephone line.

Let us know if it worked better than the number of times I have tried to do the same thing.
Ray

Return to posts index

Matte
on Sep 20, 2006 at 9:33:58 pm

I still don't understand the problem.

I do this kind of remote recording/direction all the time.

Just have the person record to a "good audio setup" AS YOU LISTEN TO HIM/HER OVER THE PHONE.

They would just have the phone reciever held up to their head as usual, but would also be speaking into a good mic that was feeding a computer's "recorder."

After you were satisfied, the other end could send you the sound file over the internet via email.

The device you linked to will not help much, and you'd need someone on that end to set it all up...
have that person instead set up to record to a computer.

I still say the best bet is to do thios, but do it at a RECORDING STUDIO... they can do the phone-patch stuff (so you can HEAR and DIRECT).

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Sep 23, 2006 at 8:07:48 am

OK
In your first line you mention a voice over talent.
If he IS a talent (ie someone who is moderately experienced and does this for a living) then he should have ISDN codec equipment to allow connectivity at high data rates to anywhere in the world. This is how it is done.
Or he should know studios nearby where he goes REGULARLY to do this.

This whole mention od telephones is a joke.
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]