FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Audio recorded on DAT tapes able to contain timecode?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
phillr
Is Audio recorded on DAT tapes able to contain timecode?
on Sep 13, 2006 at 3:47:39 pm

I'm a student editor at a film college and often receive DAT audio tapes from other students in the film production program. We were wondering whether the DAT audio tapes have a timecode track on them.

I was looking at the DAT deck they gave me to digitize the audio, I couldn't find any port that looked liked it would transmit timecode information. Only used XLR cables to import the audio into my Avid.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
Re: Is Audio recorded on DAT tapes able to contain timecode?
on Sep 13, 2006 at 4:04:09 pm

The model of DAT deck you're using probably doesn't support TC read/generate. What model of deck are you using in post?

Also, you won't find a standard TC track on the production DATs if they were recorded on a non-TC recorder (such as the Tascam DA-P1).

A non-TC DAT can be used to record (but not generate) TC by feeding an external TC generator into one of the audio channels. Just be careful that the TC doesn't bleed onto the remaining audio track.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Is Audio recorded on DAT tapes able to contain timecode?
on Sep 16, 2006 at 4:54:54 pm

Generally (always in my experience) the timecode information is transferred to the DAW or edit station via the rs422 protocol 9pin remote cable . This controls the dat deck as a vtr and the timecode is a part of this positioning data
peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]