FORUMS: list search recent posts

MBOX 1, Bluetube 900B pre and Yama MG12 combo?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nelsonmay10
MBOX 1, Bluetube 900B pre and Yama MG12 combo?
on Aug 30, 2006 at 6:57:56 pm

I am a VO actor and have been using a Neuman TLM-103 into a MBOX1 (with focusrite pre amps). I bought a Yamaha MG12/4 mixer and love the sound. I have a presonus bluetue 900B preamp that cost about 100.00 3 years ago. I am considering runniinng the mic through the mixer.

With the mixer going into the MBOX I will have to use a line in and loose the Focusrite pre amps. Will the Bluetube be the weak link in the line, if I use it to replace the focurites? Since I am starting to learn my way around mixing baords, should I put the PreAmp into the mixer, use phantom power from the preamp or run the mic into the mixer and put the preamp on an effects send and return.

Food for thought?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Kalunga Lima
Re: MBOX 1, Bluetube 900B pre and Yama MG12 combo?
on Sep 30, 2006 at 8:59:55 am

Sound is not my main area but i do feel you deserve some answer.

1. You really must make a deicison between one of the 3 pre-amps available to you. Pre-amps aren't meant to be daisy-chained so you have to choose one.

2. The second item in you your chain (3rd if you count the microphone) is the Yamaha mixer. If you are not using the mixer's own pre-amp, and you are not mixing-in any other sound source, then perhaps you don't need it. I'm quite certain you can not use your bluetube pre-amp as an effect.

3. The last item in your chain is the MBOX given that I imagine you are using it to go into your computer (a function your mixer can't do as it doesn't have USD outputs like the Behringer Xenyx or Alesis Multimix USB mixers). Here again the isue ermains the same, if you are using either the Bluetube or the Yamaha mixer for pre-amplification, then yes, you can't use the MBOX's own pre-amps.

Personally I would think that using the MBOX alone, straight into your computer, would be the simplest solution (tweaking the sound with sofware). In Audio (as in life) keeping things simple goes a long way towards having better sound, as it elimiates alot of the noise and signal degradation associated with multiple cables, processors, connectors, power sources etc.

A good site for general audio info is http://www.equipmentemporium.com. You find a nice littel tutorial on mixing boards in 'Articles about Prod Sound'

best of luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]