FORUMS: list search recent posts

voice over using a Duo preamp, AT4040 and Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Masuga
voice over using a Duo preamp, AT4040 and Final Cut Pro
on Aug 7, 2006 at 10:54:46 pm

I've got a question for doing a voice over on a video I'm compiling. Seeing as I've never done this before I'm hoping I can get some "feed"back grazing out in the cow pasture. Here's the low down... I'm using a Mac G5 2.5GH, Final Cut Pro 4.5, have an M Audio- Duo (usb mic preamp) which also has a "bad" start up disc and an Audio Technica AT4040 studio mic. Now my first question is do I need the preamp and if so how do I get it set up to use it especially with a bad start up disc? And then once that is answered what's my next step or steps, hopefully avoiding any cow patties? Sorry for my ignorance and any excessive use of puns but if I can get any mooo-ningful feedback this cow will be ready for milking.
Thanks,

The cow they call Masuga

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: voice over using a Duo preamp, AT4040 and Final Cut Pro
on Aug 8, 2006 at 1:58:18 am

You will need a preamp with your mic for it to work and sound best. Connect the pre to the G5, open the voiceover tool in FCP and see if the pre is recognized. If not, you'll need the driver from the bad disc. However, you might be able to download it from the M-Audio support site. Once you have it working, try some test records. I tried a USB interface/preamp with FCP and the voiceover tool a while back and found it caused a lot of glitches in the audio. I ended up using a AD/DA converter I had around which had an optical out I sent to the G5. That works fine.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.3 QT7.0.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.0.4, DVDSP4.0.2, Comp2.0.1, STP1.0.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
SonicStudio HD DAW, Yamaha DM1000, Genelec Monitors

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: voice over using a Duo preamp, AT4040 and Final Cut Pro
on Aug 8, 2006 at 11:47:30 am

I suggest you connect the mic to a camcorder and record the VO to tape first.

You'll have the VO on a storable timecoded source, and the camcorder can supply the phantom power for the mic without the need of the "preamp".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]