FORUMS: list search recent posts

DAT machine to computer - tape should sound great but ends up sounding awful

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
knewsom
DAT machine to computer - tape should sound great but ends up sounding awful
on Aug 7, 2006 at 3:15:51 am

I've determined through trial and error that the problem is the DAT machine - I have a Panasonic SV-3700 that I'm interfacing via coaxial to optical to my G5 to capture 48kHz audio. The problem is that the quality is VERY porr, and the levels are VERY low. I tried hooking the coaxial cable up the the output of a Sony DVD player, and everything worked just dandy. My question is this: Is the coaxial output on my machine just busted? Or is there something I'm missing? Is there more than one coaxial protocall? There are a series of switches called "SW", there are 4 of them. If they're all off, I get NOTHING out of my coaxial output, if they're all on, or if some of them are on but not all, I get crappy sound.

whaddaya think, bad DAT machine? Should I try and track down another?

thanks much,
Kris

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: DAT machine to computer - tape should sound great but ends up sounding awful
by
on Aug 7, 2006 at 1:19:39 pm

There are 15 (!) possible combinations on a 4 position DIP Switch.
I don't know how yours should be set, or even if that is having an effect in your transfer, but its something to consider.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: DAT machine to computer - tape should sound great but ends up sounding awful
on Aug 8, 2006 at 2:57:07 pm

Check the settings of your Mode System Display. I have a 3700, but no manual and a 3800 with manual. The manual descrives how to do this. There are mode settings that affect the output - whether it goes to the AES (XLR) or SPDIF (RCA/coax) connectors. Your machine is probably setup for AES. If you don't have your manual, you may be able to download one from the website. Also, make sure you DAT is set for 48k and not 44.1. I've flipped that switch by mistake a couple of times and run into trouble.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.3 QT7.0.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.0.4, DVDSP4.0.2, Comp2.0.1, STP1.0.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
SonicStudio HD DAW, Yamaha DM1000, Genelec Monitors

Return to posts index

knewsom
on Aug 8, 2006 at 3:44:14 pm

John,

Thanks for the info! I will certainly look into that - I've tried to download a manual, and have thus far been unsuccessful, but have found one for sale. If a bit more poking around doesn't do the trick, I'll just have to pony up and buy the manual. I'm pretty sure that I was in 48k, but I'll double check that, and look into the mode settings. I'll post back with any results.

Thanks again,
Kris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]