eyecamiam
G2 settings, need (more) help
on Aug 3, 2006 at 6:13:16 pm

Equipment:
Sony pd-170,
Sennheiser EK-100 G2 RECEIVER,
SK100 G2 TRANSMITER,
ME 2 CLIP ON CONDENSER, OMNI MIC

OK results from day one were horrible (surprise surprise). It sounded like the talent was rumbling around inside the mic

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: G2 settings, need (more) help
on Aug 3, 2006 at 9:32:31 pm

First thing that pops into my head is that you had the wireless receiver feeding the MIC-LEVEL setting on the camera, but the wireless receiver was actually outputting a LINE-level signal... and distorting the camera's pre-amp.

This would likely not show up as badly on the METERS as it would if you were monitoring on headset coming from the camera (as the input could be adjusted to compensate for the LEVEL, but NOT the distortion).

It is essential to fully monitor, at all times, the audio as it is being recorded... without that it is like shooting without a viewfinder... a catastrophe waiting to happen.

To save you a lot of grief in the future, I suggest that you find a way to have a local audio pro SHOW YOU the proper settings and connections as its next to impossible to tell you "how much to turn it up and which pad to switch in" in a few lines on a computer screen

Audio is usually much more problematic to record properly than video... and audiences are much more likely to instantly judge that there is a problem in the SOUND than in the video.

You'll get it right. You just need some "hands-on" help!

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Aug 3, 2006 at 10:09:32 pm

Thanks. The AF OUT was set much too high, in the line level range. Today, I am going to do sound checks with headphones on before anything else. I'm getting more comfortable with the kit's menu controls, though I have no idea which to adjust based on what I hear. For now, I just want a decent level to shoot with in one particular setting with two talents. When I get the chance, I will pick the brains of a pro. I know a couple of guys in town who would be glad to help. However, they are very busy. I totally agree with you that sound is much trickier to capture than the picture, though I think the lighting designers would beg to differ. Just the same, we

Return to posts index

Guy Cochran
on Aug 31, 2006 at 2:50:34 am

Here's an online QuickTime movie tutorial that gives you the same training on the Sennheiser Wireless G2 that the employees get. http://dvcreators.net/products/sennheiser_wireless_movieframe.htm

Cheers,

Guy

BTW,If you don't have QuickTime you can also check out the flash version at http://dvgeartalk.com

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Aug 31, 2006 at 5:52:00 am

Thank you thank you thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]