FORUMS: list search recent posts

speaking of G2

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eyecamiam
speaking of G2
on Jul 31, 2006 at 5:42:43 am

I will be shooting an interview style performance piece using a pair of Sennheiser EW 100 G2-s. The receivers will be connected to a Sony pd-170. One receiver can be mounted on the shoe. Where can I mount the other one? And how?
It would be easier if the on/off switch and other controls weren

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: speaking of G2
on Jul 31, 2006 at 12:21:06 pm

The material that the costumes are made of can affect the rustling noise.
You'll need to do some tests under actual conditions.

Be prepared to make some adjustments to mic placement on the actor.
I've found that the mic placed near the actor's neck (where the shoulder meets the neck) but NOT his THROAT (that can make the audio UNINTELLIGIBLE) is a good position.

Is the camcorder going to be HAND-HELD?

If its on a tripod you don't NEED to mount the receiver(s) ON the camera.

I've Gaffer-taped them to the tripod... or to a standard mic floor-stand or C-stand positioned near the camera.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jul 31, 2006 at 6:27:50 pm

Thanks. I will be using a tripod. However I will be moving it for each shot and readjusting the legs to different heights, etc. I will also be doing some panning. It

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Jul 31, 2006 at 6:46:12 pm

Hi,
It doesn't really matter where the antennae is pointing.
You shouldn't velcro them together, sometimes they can cause problems when they are really close together.
Yes, you definitely need to set them at different freq's.
Peter

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jul 31, 2006 at 11:37:27 pm

Thanks. I stopped by the video supply store and picked up an accessory mount that gives me three mounts for receivers. The G2 has a scan function that auomatically finds the next available freq. So I'll gve it a try.

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: speaking of G2 AND!!!
on Jul 31, 2006 at 12:23:19 pm

AND!!!

Wear GOOD over-the-ear HEADPHONES 100% of the time that you are shooting usable audio.

You can immediately fix a problem and re-shoot on-the-spot if you HEAR the problems as you go.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
Re: speaking of G2 AND!!!
on Jul 31, 2006 at 6:28:36 pm

Yes I have a nice pair of phones.

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Jul 31, 2006 at 5:45:24 pm

You really need a sound person. Trying to capture good, usable dialogue requires the attention of someone OTHER than the person doing the shooting. That's why in almost every network news shoot or high-end documentary there is at least one soundman on the crew.

If your budget simply will not allow for a professional sound person, you should get someone to setup sound and monitor dialogue. If you plan on operating the camera, you will have your hands full and if something should not go as expected (and it will), you don't have worry about recording good sound.

Incredibly good-looking interview footage is absolutely useless without usable sound.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jul 31, 2006 at 6:33:08 pm

Noted. I can't afford a pro for this shoot. But I do have some time to experiment. If I do bring in another person to monitor the sound, I'll have to show him/her what to do first.

Return to posts index

tom
by
on Aug 2, 2006 at 11:47:16 am

Good luck , the problem I used to have is ecery time yo uhave to adjust you are touching the camera= bmp. Greatest move I ever made was a mixer
best wishes
Tom

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Aug 2, 2006 at 3:35:00 pm

YES, I'm running into that already. Forget adjusting the receivers in the middle of a shot. The audio gain can be adjusted using the back knob of the pd-170 and even that needs a steady hand. I have a mixer on order. Where do you mount your mixer in the field?

Return to posts index

Matte
on Aug 2, 2006 at 4:04:39 pm

[eyecamiam] "Where do you mount your mixer in the field?"

I built a small mixer-sized tray that attaches to my tripod's legs.
(It "adjusts" to however wide I have the tripod legs.)

Also, some use a mic stand or C-stand to hold the mixer near camera height.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Aug 3, 2006 at 6:10:14 pm

Any chance of sending me a jpeg of your small mixer-sized tray attached to your tripod's legs. Here's a pic of my tripod:

http://www.video-direct.com/accessories/manfrotto/manfrotto-503-351mvb2k-im...

Return to posts index

Guy Cochran
on Aug 31, 2006 at 2:53:59 am

You might also consider the Rover Aux Box http://www.videosmith.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id...

Cheers,

Guy
DVcreators.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]