FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio production for TV & Radio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RATRAY
Audio production for TV & Radio
on Jul 5, 2006 at 9:48:14 pm

Hello All,
I am a FCP & AE Producer/Director/Editor, etc. for a small ad agency and we are trying to bring our audio production in-house. I have been on the visual side of things for 15 years and have always left audio up to the pro's, but in my current position it would be great for me to take it on. We have a Pro-Tools LE set-up (Carillon) but I'm finding the learning curve on Pro-Tools to be steep. What I need is suggestions for what the right software is for low-budget TV & Radio production. Is there anything out there with "click & add" filters, effects, etc. to get good sounding audio easily? We like "cheesey" bells and whistles. (we do a lot of work for auto dealers) Should I stick with Pro-Tools, maybe find some plug-ins, etc? Is there a quintessential book and/or DVD/CD to help me learn the software? Most of what I'm finding on Pro-Tools is for music prod. not voice.

I hope I'm making myself clear and thanks, in advance, for your help.
-Leigh Rathner
Broadcast producer
http://www.ppadv.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio production for TV & Radio
on Jul 5, 2006 at 11:44:38 pm

Stick with it. I feel the same way about fcp.

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
on Jul 5, 2006 at 11:50:48 pm

Unfortunately, ProTools opperates in a different headspace than FCP. Much of the workspace is designed to mimic the traditional mixing boards, and as such you'll need a basic understanding of traditional sound recording and mixing methodology. To that end, even books about music production will give you useful information.

Rather than employing "click & add" filters to specific clips, effects are achieved either by applying "Audiosuite" effects to specific regions, or applying effects plugins (RTAS only in ProTools LE) to the channel inserts. Ironically, the cheesey effects can be a bit harder to come by for ProTools, since most of the plugins on the market are designed with an ear to quality.

As far as books, "ProTools 6 Power" by Colin MacQueen and Steve Albanese provides a basic overview of the software and hardware. It even has a brief chapter concerning post-production, although it only scratches the surface.

Are there particular effects (cheesey or otherwise) that you're having trouble achieving?

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Jul 8, 2006 at 3:14:56 pm

As a FCP and Pro Tools user, I agree that the two apps require a major shift in thinking. Even navigating the timeline uses totally diferent keystrokes, aside from the space bar for play/pause. If you haven't yet learned Pro Tools, you might find Logic a bit more intuative. It integrates well with FCP and I think even the "Express" version can handle most any audio file you throw at it. I guess the big question is if it will work correctly with the Digidesign hardware. FCP works with the Digi 002R - so I assume Logic will as well.

If you can get to an Apple store with the Pro Desk, they have a demo you can try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]