FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality portable sound recorder

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nakul610jb
Quality portable sound recorder
on Jul 1, 2006 at 2:34:43 pm

Hi,

I'm a solo filmmaker, I shoot on a Sony VX2000E, till now have been recording sound on the camera, thru a beachtek. I wanted to record sound separately, to save the camera tape head and to be able to hear what i've recorded without having to rewind the tape.

Wanted to know what are the best options to record sound separately, 16bit? MP3 players (Ipod like), MD recorders, any other options? How would one connect an XLR shotgun mic to it? Are all/most new MP3 players able to record sound thru mics or is it a special feature?

Thanks Nakul

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Quality portable sound recorder
on Jul 1, 2006 at 6:35:43 pm

I recommend that you continue to use the camcorder as you have been.
The camcorder will likely become obsolete long before the heads wear out.
(My basement is a testament to gear that still works great... but there's no real USE for it anymore.)

But if you really just WANT to record on an outboard audio deck and you want "highest quality" you want a portable DAT (Digital Audio Tape) recorder ($$$$).
DAT can record at the same 48 kHz 16bit digital as the camcorder ("no loss" compression).

Second choice would be an MD recorder (lots of "lossy" compression to the audio).

LAST choice would be an mp3 recorder (horendous "lossy" compression to the audio).

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
on Jul 3, 2006 at 7:02:01 pm

For the cost of an entry-level DAT recorder, you could get a compact flash recorder such as the Fostex FR-2. The sound quality of the FR-2 (up to 24-bit, 192kHz, uncompressed) blows DAT away, and the CF cards are immune to most of the dropout-inducing conditions to which DATs have always been prone. Plus, if you're looking to play back your recordings without having to rewind, you'll probably want a non-linear recorder anyways.

If your budget is particularly tight, check out the Marantz PMD660 (16-bit, 48 kHz) and the M-Audio Microtrack (24-bit, 96 kHz).

Return to posts index

nakul610jb
on Jul 6, 2006 at 10:32:15 am

Hi,

A big thank you to both Stephen and Matte, the advice and info was v helpful,

Nakul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]