FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you adapt a radio mic to work hard wired?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Susch
Can you adapt a radio mic to work hard wired?
on Jun 29, 2006 at 12:26:06 am

Anyone know if it's possible to purchase (or make) an adapter so that you can use a Countryman B6 lav that has a Lectrosonics connector on the end and hard wire it? Would a short 5-pin to XLR adapter cable work and allow you to phantom power the mic directly into a mixer or recorder? Anyone tried something like this?

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: Can you adapt a radio mic to work hard wired?
on Jun 29, 2006 at 2:56:01 am

I saw something like this on the Lectro site.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/manuals/mca5xtd.pdf

I have a cable that makes this connection, however, I think the bias voltage of the B6 is incorrect for standard 48v phantom. I haven't used it on the B6 - I don't want to damage the mic.
I think it depends on the model of Lectro transmitter for which the mic is wired. Here's the info from Countryman's site for the UM400.

Lectrosonics UM400

Switchcraft TA5F

Pin 1 = Shield
1.5k ohm Pin 2 to 3
3.3k pin 3 to white

Return to posts index

tom
by
on Jun 29, 2006 at 11:30:14 am

Before I would try anything, I would contact a good audio company such as Trew. i know you can do this with the correct connection

good luck

Tom

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 29, 2006 at 12:06:44 pm

Contact Countryman directly and ask about getting a "link." COuntryman makes links for all of their mics. It's a TAF to xlr/power supply that does just what you want. I have one.

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Eric Susch
on Jun 29, 2006 at 4:01:31 pm

Thanks everyone!

Looks like there's more than one way to do this. ...And I'm glad I don't have to break out the soldering iron ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]