FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio archiving

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Hamilton
audio archiving
on Jun 28, 2006 at 4:22:17 pm

This may be a bit off topic,
but I am looking for a way to archive a large music collection, both vinyl and CD. What would be the best format to rip this to? MP3 comes to mind, except that it is a destructive format and I would like to keep the files as untouched as possible for later compression, depending upon the application at the time.

Thanks
Bill

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: audio archiving
on Jun 28, 2006 at 5:40:14 pm

The first question that comes to mind is why would you need to "archive" the CD's?

They are already on a small high-quality digital long-term medium.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jun 28, 2006 at 8:56:42 pm

Hard drives are so cheap nowadays, and cd and dvd storage almost without cost at all, Id go for .wav or .aif as uncompressed.

Additionally, for the cds, if you use a mac and i tunes, then Gracenote will access the entire track listing data from the web automatically and you can save everything from software as you wish with all the information already naming the files.
A real time saver.

Peter

Youre right. MP3s are lossy and with mpeg broadcasting etc now a reality, quite a bad idea that early in the chain.

Return to posts index

Bill Hamilton
on Jun 28, 2006 at 10:23:44 pm

Thanks,
I was leaning to wav files, but wanted to see if I was correct or what options I had

Bill

Return to posts index

Bill Hamilton
on Jun 28, 2006 at 10:22:39 pm

True CD's are small and high quality, but when there are several hundred, archiving on DVD or a hard drive starts to look appealing. Plus there is the other several hundred vinyl recordings.

Bill

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Jun 29, 2006 at 3:14:42 am

I've been working on my collection for about two years.

The CD's are archived using iTunes and using the Apple Lossless Codec or AAC@320.

Vinyl is done (in painfully real-time) using Audio HiJack Pro,

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/

AHP will save the file any Quicktime compatible (including Apple Lossless and 24-bit AIFF). It also saves with tags, uses AU and VST effects, and will automatically start a new file when silence is encountered. Audio Hijack is Mac only.

If you have a Mac, check out MegaSeg for DJ/Radio station playback.

Return to posts index

Bill Hamilton
on Jun 29, 2006 at 10:04:05 am

thanks for the info, sadly I'm on the dark side, I run a PC.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 1, 2006 at 9:57:29 am

You should check out itunes. I always thought this was mac only but now believe it runs on pc also now. When you connect to itunes and load a cd, a programme called GRACENOTE can be used to access the track details off the web , and are subsequently automatically added to your archive. Big timesaving trick.

Try it
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]