FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for Location Audio Training. West Coast

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Palmer
Looking for Location Audio Training. West Coast
on Jun 16, 2006 at 8:49:13 pm

I am lookng for a training class for Location audio for film and video. I located a terrific week long class in Rockport Maine but it was out of my budget.
Is there a 2-4 day training class on the West Coast? I have been shooting and doing location audio for over 25 years but I need to improve my location sound gathering for dialog.
I guess I need more than just the school of hard knocks to improve my audio.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Looking for Location Audio Training. West Coast
on Jun 17, 2006 at 3:51:06 am

What is it you need to know?

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Jun 19, 2006 at 3:24:15 pm

Thanks Ty.
Tips and tricks and best practices. There has got to be a better way than what we have been doing for the past two decades.

I am amazed at what great sound Features and even TV series are getting with their audio. It doesn't appear to be looped and I do not see where they could be body mic'd.
Example
Steady-cam walking backwards ahead of walking actors. There are three actors wide walking in a hallway in a building with dialog. Actors adding to the three and leaving all the time dialog. Nothing is off mic.
It might be as simple as a better shotgun mic or multiple mics on poles.

We are using the Sennheiser 816. It is now appearing to be too long for our needs.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 20, 2006 at 11:01:58 pm

If it's a tv drama/comedy with a set or sets, they have no ceilings (or ceiling bounce), no fourth wall (or fourth wall bounce) and they run multiple booms to isoed tracks. A good mixer usually also does a mix to stereo (or dual mono).

Without the reflections, you can use shotguns.

If you're working in real interiors, shotguns should be replaced with hypercardioids.

Plant mics help.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Jun 21, 2006 at 2:51:10 pm

Most excellent! Thanks Ty.

[Ty Ford] "If you're working in real interiors, shotguns should be replaced with hypercardioids."

That sounds like the trick I needed. Any suggested Hypercardioid mic? This would be used on a fishpole for dialog. We, of course, can furnish phantom power.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 21, 2006 at 8:42:39 pm

No problem,

Tops is the Schoeps cmc641
Next Audio technica AT 4053a
Next Okatva or Octave MC 012 with hyper capsule

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Jun 22, 2006 at 3:29:29 pm

Terrific advice!
You are going to make me look good.
Thanks again,
Ray

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Jun 27, 2006 at 11:14:36 pm

I just pulled the trigger and purchased the Schoeps cmc641. It should arrive later this week.

Thanks for the guidance.
Ray

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 28, 2006 at 2:19:03 am

Don't worry. Be happy. This is a no-brainer.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]