FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio leveling help.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony4x4
Audio leveling help.
on Jun 15, 2006 at 3:13:30 pm

Hi there,

A bit of background, our church has a 40 channel mixing desk from which I get an audio signal into my NewTek SX-84. We don't have a sound engineer and I am not a director i.e. the sound dept and the video dept don't know what we are really doing :-) .

My question is as follows, the "sound engineer" constantly makes ajustments to his levels, which affects my input levels, which in turn affects my output levels. So the director is having to constantly having to adjust audio levels. Now adjusting audio levels is not really a high priority for the director.

Is there a device that can go between the sound desk and the video desk that will automatically adjust the audio levels? or does audio level monitoring need to be put up on the directors priority list?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

Tony

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
Re: Audio leveling help.
on Jun 16, 2006 at 5:19:54 pm

[Tony4x4] " We don't have a sound engineer and I am not a director i.e. the sound dept and the video dept don't know what we are really doing :-) ."

[Tony4x4] "My question is as follows, the "sound engineer" constantly makes ajustments to his levels, which affects my input levels, which in turn affects my output levels"

At first this appears to be a contradiction but I'm guessing you mean you dont have a sound engineer in the video switching deptartment but you do at the live 40 channel console. The first thing you should do is talk to the live engineer and address the problem with him/her. Are they adjusting the master output level or is it just individual instrument levels being adjusted that is in turn affecting output. One way to avoid this problem would be to take a feed off a pre-fader aux bus on the console and just have the engineer dial in a level for each channel on that aux and leave it at that. That way whatever the engineer does with the channel faders will not affect your feed. This could cause you problems though, if all of a sudden one of the musicians cranks up their volume on stage, you'd be stuck with that level change. Another solution would be to put a compressor/limiter in the chain between the console and your switcher.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio leveling help.
on Jun 17, 2006 at 4:05:11 am

Yes, but why is the engineer changing levels. If it is to make the mix work better than you nee to go with that.

A compressor limiter combo is one answer. Getting a prefader mix from the console will also prevent those changing levels.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]