FORUMS: list search recent posts

Open Mic noise/Multiple Mics.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Legend
Open Mic noise/Multiple Mics.
on Jun 9, 2006 at 7:43:27 pm

I have 13 Mics running into a Peavey 16 channel mixer, I have a Peavey feedback ferret, a BBE dynamics processor and a peavey 2 channel 800 watt amp hooked up as well. Inside the chambers there are 4 Peavey PR12 2 of which are pointed at the audience and two pointed at the dais for return. There are also 3 ceiling mounted speakers through the rear of the chambers. The system is used for a P.A. for council meetings that are broadcast live on television as well. My question is how do I get rid of the hollow sound from the open mics? I cannot mute the other mics because people speak at random, is there something I can do besides riding the levels on the individual mics to reduce the open mic noise? Also what can be used to decrease or eliminate the hissing or noise throughout the system. Is a mute switch on the each individual Mic. an answer. Please advise as to what is available for perfect or near perfect sound.

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
Re: Open Mic noise/Multiple Mics.
on Jun 9, 2006 at 8:04:14 pm

[Legend] "My question is how do I get rid of the hollow sound from the open mics?"

This may be difficult as most of that hollow sound is probably due to the room acoustics. However having 13 live mics would certainly be compounding the problem. I think the best you could do here is to by some noise gates. You would need one for each mic that could be inserted on each channel. Then you would set the threshold (the level at which the gate will open and close) according to each speakers voice level. That way the gate would close when the speaker is quiet and open automatically when they speak.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Open Mic noise/Multiple Mics.
on Jun 10, 2006 at 3:48:57 pm

two eight channel automixers will help. AT and Shure both sell them.

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]