FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mic suggestions

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BackwoodsTerrorMovie
Mic suggestions
on Jun 6, 2006 at 5:07:02 am

Hi, I have an Azden SGM 2x that I recently used, but is too much of a broadcasting sound and feel. I'm filming a full length horror movie, and want a mic that will have great sound for a cinema series of movies, rather than a broadcasting/documentary quality to it. Does anyone have any ideas of what I should get or do?

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Matte
Re: Mic suggestions
on Jun 6, 2006 at 12:22:45 pm

[BackwoodsTerrorMovie] "I have an Azden SGM 2x that I recently used, but is too much of a broadcasting sound and feel."

You'll have to explain what "broadcasting" sounds like.

Return to posts index

Flinter
on Jun 6, 2006 at 12:31:35 pm

The two mics I never leave home without are the Sennheiser MKH70 (long shotgun super cardiod) and the Schoepps Collette with the C41 super cardiod capsule. Both sound wonderful ... but they're not cheap. The 70 is great for outdoor recording. It has excellent off-access rejection and works nicely even when it is 5 feet from the subject. The Schoepps is great for indoors. It is very small, so if you're up against a low ceiling it is the one to use. Hope that helps.

Flint

Return to posts index

Flinter
on Jun 6, 2006 at 12:31:37 pm

The two mics I never leave home without are the Sennheiser MKH70 (long shotgun super cardiod) and the Schoepps Collette with the C41 super cardiod capsule. Both sound wonderful ... but they're not cheap. The 70 is great for outdoor recording. It has excellent off-access rejection and works nicely even when it is 5 feet from the subject. The Schoepps is great for indoors. It is very small, so if you're up against a low ceiling it is the one to use. Hope that helps.

Flint

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
BackwoodsTerrorMovie
on Jun 6, 2006 at 5:01:01 pm

You're right, it does cost a good amount but thanks for the help. When I say broadcast sound, I mean what I have is clear, but it's not that loud or deep, it's a mic that belongs on a News camera. I need something for movies.

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Flinter
on Jun 6, 2006 at 5:53:54 pm

I don't think you would have any trouble hearing the difference between a good pro mic and a cheap approximation. You gotta pay to play. The 2 mics I mentioned are very sensitive, efficient mics .... they are a couple of my favs.....good luck.

Flint

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
BackwoodsTerrorMovie
on Jun 7, 2006 at 6:07:13 am

I found a really cheap mic online, it's a Rode NTG2, does anyone know anything about it? I cannot spend too much since I am in production of the movie, and most of my money is going to gore props and special effects.

Return to posts index

cowcow
Peter Perry
on Jun 7, 2006 at 7:22:26 pm

If you don't like the Azden, I doubt if you'll like the Rode much better. You should listen to it before you buy it.
You do realize that more often than not the sound has more to do with the way the mic is used than with the mic itself. What I'm trying to say is an experienced sound guy can make your Azden sound good, while an inexperienced one-man-band guy will probably screw up with the best mic.
Peter

Return to posts index

r lague
on Jun 17, 2006 at 3:48:09 am

Good advice. The Azden SGm 2x is actually an excellent mic. We have a couple of them and a Sennheiser. They don't sound the same, but one is not good and one bad.

You will always hear the you get what you pay for from guys who know only on or 2 expensive mics and don't want to know about good performing cheaper brands.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]