FORUMS: list search recent posts

Studio audio and broadcast audio levels

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Legend
Studio audio and broadcast audio levels
on May 26, 2006 at 8:28:53 pm

I run a small PEG channel. My audio levels in the council chambers (P.A. system) sound fine but the audio being broadcast is over modulated. I currently have 15 mics running into a 16 channel peavey mixer and out to Council Chamber Monitors(P.A. System) and broadcast when I lower the levels for broadcast the chambers audio is then to low. Can anyone give me advice on how to remedy this situation so that my studio audio remains good as well as the broadcast audio being sent out. I am currently runnig all channels into a 16 channel mixer and the mix(not seperate channels is sent out to broadcast . Do I need a 24 channel mixer. And how would I accomadate the need for two seperate levels with out sacrificing the other? I currently cannot control the individual levels due to the location of the board we are moving it into the control room . Can anyone advise?

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
Re: Studio audio and broadcast audio levels
on May 26, 2006 at 8:40:46 pm

You do not need a larger mixer as that wont change anything. You haven't said how you are feeding the signal from the mixer to the broadcast or the speakers. What you need to do is send the broadcast feed from an aux send on the mixer. Lets say you use Aux 1, all you will need to do is bring up the aux 1 master, then bring up the aux 1 knob on each mic channel to the desired level. This will not affect your main outs going to the speakers. Another solution being that this is probably just a mono signal you could send the left side of the mixer to broadcast and the right side to the amp/speakers. Then you can just bring down the left side to suit the broadcast needs.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on May 26, 2006 at 9:39:55 pm

Hi,
Tell us what console you are using and maybe we can help you set it up a little different to accomodate your needs. You need two discreet outputs, so you can control each level seperately.
Peter

Return to posts index

Legend
on May 26, 2006 at 10:01:25 pm

I am using a peavy rsm4062 16 ch mixer

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on May 26, 2006 at 10:19:43 pm

[Legend] "I am using a peavy rsm4062 16 ch mixer"

That board has a multitude of different outputs. So you could do as I said in my last post or you could take the subgroups 1 & 2 out to feed the speakers and use the main outs for the broadcast. You would just have to make sure you have the groups 1 & 2, as well as the mains button, selected on each channel strip.

Return to posts index

Legend
on May 26, 2006 at 11:13:57 pm

Thanks Frank You Have been very helpful

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on May 26, 2006 at 10:44:45 pm

This console has a feature that will work nicely for you. Assuming you are using the main outputs to feed your PA system, you can use the mono output buss on the back to feed your broadcast. It has its own level control so you can turn that way down to avoid overdriving whatever gain stage it is that you are overdriving. If you need 2 channels, just get a Y cable. That is the quick fix. I would look at my gain structure, though. I would pump a 1khz tone at zero dBvu through all systems, especially the broadcast chain to find out what you are overdriving and to make sure you are running at unity gain.
Peter

Return to posts index

Legend
on May 26, 2006 at 11:14:44 pm

Thanks Peter, I appreciate your advice

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on May 29, 2006 at 9:55:08 am

How come it took til post 7 on this one before the first mention of calibration as mentioned by Peter.

Surely METERS and Calibration are the answers.
Peter(different)

Return to posts index

Seth Bloombaum
on May 30, 2006 at 4:43:00 pm

To take this a little further, best practice is to feed the broadcast chain with an output that can be metered at the mixer. If you then send tone at 0db to the broadcast chain, and set whatever input levels are available on the chain to 0db, you can now monitor what the broacast chain is receiving on your mixer meters.

Perhaps there is someone who can tell you what level the broadcast chain likes best (peaks to -6, 0, or +3db?). Or, establish this by trial and error. Then, set your output at the mixer so that peaks come to that level.

If you continue to have trouble with this, the a-v contractor who installed the systems can straighten things out real fast.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Legend
on May 31, 2006 at 7:52:29 pm

Thanks to all. I put my main speakers (council chambers) on groups one and two and fed broadcast audio through the main outputs= problem solved. All of your advice was very helpful Its good to have professionals on forums like this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]