FORUMS: list search recent posts

outdoor impromptu interviews

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Spiro
outdoor impromptu interviews
on May 22, 2006 at 6:44:43 pm

This summer I'll be shooting footage at seven different kids camps using a Panasonic AG-DVX100. All of this footage will eventually be used in a promotional video for the camps.

I imagine that my interviews will be outdoors & impromptu - like, I'll approach some kids playing basketball and ask them, "What have you enjoyed most about being at Camp Such-n-Such?"

I'd like the audio to be as crisp-n-clean as possible (but not cost me more than $500). My wife will be with me, so she could hold a microphone and/or boom if need be. I don't want the microphone to be in picture, though.

What type of microphone would you guys recommend? Shotgun, perhaps?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: outdoor impromptu interviews
on May 23, 2006 at 3:58:56 am

I want a completely restored Triumph TR3 for $1200, but it ain't going to happen.

Most shotguns in that price range are about the same, but you won't make it with $500 if you include a mic, a boom, and wind protection for the mic. All of which you'll need.

Actually, know what? A pistol grip with a suspension mount would be easier to handle than a boom.

Want to read mic reviews? They're free in the OnLine Archive on my site.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

cow
Spiro
on May 23, 2006 at 3:12:05 pm

There's a fully restored 1957 Triumph TR3 on Ebay for $18K!

How about this: Rode NTG-2, Rycote Softie, and Rycote Pistol Grip for $500?

Or I could just buy the Sennheiser ME66/K6 for $460.

Ty - I would listen to your audio files, but I'm at home on dial-up right now! I'll have a much faster connection tomorrow at work.

Return to posts index

cow
Ty Ford
on May 23, 2006 at 3:58:00 pm

Not bad. Does the pistol grip come with a windbreaker?

K-tek showed a new windbreaker Zeppelin at NAB this year. much less expensive than the Rycote. I don't know if Manfred has it in all sizes, but you should check.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Spiro
on May 23, 2006 at 6:28:44 pm

OK. I checked out K-Tek on B&HPhoto.com - there seems to be several different Zeppelin's. Not really sure which one I need.

Zeppelin Fuzzy: $225
Zeppelin Fuzzy/Shoe Mount: $185
Zeppelin Fuzzy Slip-On: $100

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 23, 2006 at 6:35:37 pm

Contact Manfred Klemm at K-tek. Tell him I sent you. Tell him what you want to do.

The Zepp is new for K-tek. I don't know if he has it out and about yet.

Regards,

Ty

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Spiro
on May 23, 2006 at 8:46:52 pm

Perfect. Thanks Ty. Good luck with finding that Triumph TR3!

Return to posts index

tom
by
on May 24, 2006 at 11:38:38 am

Spiro , just to add to Ty's advise ( which I listen to very well, thanks Ty ) My main freelance work is such as yours , doing interviews. My client very much WANTS to hear the questions and replys. Audio is getting more important to me,finding it is harder to get clean crisp audio than a clear steady video image. So I have invested more into it this year than cameras. You get what you pay for, also you have to take time to learn to use it correctly and find what works and what doesn't. One final thought, don't be afraid to redo your shots if you think something is wrong. People watching will want to hear the question and the answer. Best of luck

Later all
Tom

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 24, 2006 at 11:57:25 am

Thanks Tom,

Were I to go out today to do street work and want to hear the voice of the interviewer, I'd probably try a Countryman E6. I'd try both cardioid and omni to see how each changed the sound. The cardioid might work better on a really noisy street.

I'd split track the sound; interviewer/interviewee and mix in post, IF i had time in post to do it. If I didn't have time, I'd use a long handled omni for the back and forth. In either case, I would also have someone (interviewer or soundperson) listen during recording to make sure I was getting what thought I was getting.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 24, 2006 at 1:34:13 pm

[Ty Ford] "I'd use a long handled omni for the back and forth"

Ty -- Omni? Would you be seeing that on camera?

I thought you'd recommend the Schoeps hyper cardiod with the bass roll-off and forgiveness for off-axis.

-- Your student, Bob C

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 24, 2006 at 2:18:08 pm

Sorry, sure the omni would be a hand mic and would be visible on camera. In really noisey envronments (which you must ascertain while listening on headphones) you may find the only thing you can do to get good sound is shove an omni in their faces.

We did testimonials in an operating dry cleaning establishment once. Talk about noise. We used the AT 895 as a hand-held. It was still quite obvious that we were in a noisy space, but the voices did prevail.

Othewise the Schoeps cmc641 in a pistol grip (or boom, which s more awkward for the street, but necessary in a media circus).

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 24, 2006 at 2:20:05 pm

[Ty Ford] "We did testimonials in an operating dry cleaning establishment once. Talk about noise."

Forget about the noise. What made your whites really really white?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]