FORUMS: list search recent posts

Student question.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dbmata
Student question.
on May 22, 2006 at 6:40:43 am

I have a group that is currently working on a 3d animated short, and we're trying to figure out our needs for foley FX. As this is a student project, we want to handle all aspects ourselves, and we have little to no budget. Personally, I have a few hundred saved up for sound needs, and I'd prefer to purchase something over attempting to rent a DAT.

Can anyone suggest a portable recorder we can afford, and record decent quality audio on?
Thanks.
Dave

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
dbmata
Thanks pros. I get the message.
on May 23, 2006 at 5:05:12 pm

I really needed the advice too.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: Thanks pros. I get the message.
on May 23, 2006 at 10:58:58 pm

I think that for "a couple of hundred bucks" you're not going to get much. A minidisc recorder is the best suggestion, but you haven't mentioned a microphone, cables, a boom or any of the other stuff you need just to do a minimal job. I agree that your best bet would be to get pre-recorded SFX online, from Sounddogs or someplace like that.
Just to put things in pespective, the cheapest mini disc I could find at B&H was $170, with no mic, no earphones, no discs... nothing.
I know this isn't much help, but your budget has you handcuffed.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Thanks pros. I get the message.
on May 26, 2006 at 2:56:55 pm

[dbmata] "I really needed the advice too."

This is what I love about students -- it's easy to compete for clients with people who missed Etiquette 101. You were miffed that nobody had volunteered their time to reply for, what, two days? It has now been almost three days since two knowledgeable replies, and no thanks from you. "We get the message."

Return to posts index

cowcow
LandofNid
Re: Student question.
on May 23, 2006 at 6:30:47 pm

Are you in college? If so, does your school have a recording studio you could sign out and make original Foley sounds there? Is that a requirement for a class you are taking? What sort of sounds are you trying to recreate? If it's more trouble to start from scratch and record/mix your own original Foley tracks you might be better off purchasing a Foley library with the sounds you need. If you must make your own recordings you can use a Mini Disc Recorder however it will be very crude to use. Perhaps this is the way to go if you are on a shoestring budget, and don't want to use canned soundeffects. I hope this helps.

-Nicholas Bierzonski
Editor/DVD Author/Java Boy
http://www.finalfocusvideo.com

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Student question.
on May 26, 2006 at 9:02:15 pm

Since you have computers already, just use one of them for the recorder.
Run over to Guitar Center and purchase an inexpensive usb audio interface that has a built-in mic-pre,
an inexpensive 25ft xlr mic cable, a cheap mic stand, and one of their $99 mics.

A couple of large rubber tubs can hold sand, gravel, rocks, or? for footsteps and such.

assign the students the job of finding inexpensive or free items for noise makers,
have a team look over the animation and make notes about what type of effects should occure and where.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]