FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid vs Pro Tools

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mikey
Avid vs Pro Tools
on May 12, 2006 at 12:16:02 am

I'm working on a short film that has been edited on an Avid Adrenaline system. We are preping to send it over to our sound people who are using a Pro Tools system. As far as I know, the best way to transfer projects is via an OMF project file or EDL so they can open the project up on their system and fix audio. As far as they know, there is no way for them to open an OMF, EDL or even AAF. This seems odd to me as Avid owns Pro Tools. I'm not a sound guy so i know nothing about Pro Tools. It just seems to be a waste of time for them to rebuild the audio portion of the project. Are me and/or the sound guys missing something? Anything would help. Thanks

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Avid vs Pro Tools
on May 12, 2006 at 12:25:04 pm

They need DigiTranslator to open the OMF.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.3 QT7.0.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.0.4, DVDSP4.0.2, Comp2.0.1, STP1.0.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
SonicStudio HD DAW, Yamaha DM1000, Genelec Monitors

Return to posts index

Mikey
on May 12, 2006 at 7:26:22 pm

I believe i was told they dont have it. Is that the only option then?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 12, 2006 at 9:02:45 pm

I don't know of any other easy way, but I'm not Pro Tools expert. I'm surprised they can't do this if they do sound for picture. How do they get tracks into their system?

Another thought is if you can export each audio track from your edl as a wav. Be sure they all have the same in and out points (in point should be picture start and out should be picture end) so they are identical lengths (even if a track only has a little audio on it). Name them appropriately so the PT folks can work with them. Then they import each file and stack them up in their timeline. Depending on the length of your show, you could end up with a lot of large file, but it should work.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.3 QT7.0.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.0.4, DVDSP4.0.2, Comp2.0.1, STP1.0.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
SonicStudio HD DAW, Yamaha DM1000, Genelec Monitors

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on May 12, 2006 at 9:12:57 pm

[Mikey] "As far as they know, there is no way for them to open an OMF, EDL or even AAF."

Get another sound house. If they don't know this, then they dont really know post sound.

Return to posts index

cow
Peter Groom
on May 13, 2006 at 10:23:31 am

Ahh but John

"Another thought is if you can export each audio track from your edl as a wav"

They wont be able to access any handles this way! Why go to a sound dub at all if you deny sound guys the tools to do their job.
Then again as Frank says

"Get another sound house. If they don't know this, then they dont really know post sound. "

Frank is right, and if they cant manage this simple function then they wont know what a handle is anyway.

I agree. Get a new post house. If they cant do this simple thing then I'd move on. This is like Macdonalds running out of chips. EH!!!!

Peter
Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]