FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio from PAL to NTSC

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Latter
audio from PAL to NTSC
on May 8, 2006 at 2:56:29 am

I am mixing a small indie movie that is going to be shot in PAL on a Sony Z1. We are in NTSC land. The producer and DP are shooting in PAL just incase it will be transfered to film. And for look, blah blah. We also have avalible to us 3 Sound Device 744T's.

My question has to do with recording audio for the video conversion from PAL to NTSC regaurding the sync of video and audio. By the way I will be doing the audio post also. Probably in FCP with SoundTrack Pro.

Should I record all the audio on the 744T's at PAL (25fps), edit in 25fps, then convert to NTSC 30fps when finished? Or record audio at 30fps and convert to NTSC then do the post audio?

Any help would be greatly appreicated.
Bret

Return to posts index

r lague
Re: audio from PAL to NTSC
on May 8, 2006 at 4:44:15 am

Why would you shoot this in PAL if it has to be NTSC in the end? I known PAL is marginally better......

But my point is shoot in HDV NTSC and the downconvert to SD NTSC. You will have something that is much better than shooting in SD PAL with the Z1U. We shoot with these great cameras all the time and always shoot in HDV and downconvert.

Again why shoot in PAL? That is a bit yesterday.

Return to posts index

Bret Latter
on May 8, 2006 at 4:54:24 am

Well I am not the one desiding what it is shot in. I am just doing the sound. Again, the producer, director, and DP have chosen this format.
I just have to give them good sound, and in sync.

Please my original question still stands.

thanks,
bret

Return to posts index

Matte
on May 9, 2006 at 12:10:22 am

The shooting in this case is being recorded on video.

Video is based on TIME (seconds) not "frames per second" like film.

So the audio does not need to be recorded in "X Frames per second".

On the timeline, exactly 30 seconds of audio will play in exactly 30 seconds, regardless of the number of video frames per second.

Simply choose the best available audio (say, 48 kHz 16 bit) and record the tracks.

A FILM camera cranking at 24 fps, but transferred to video at 30 fps needs the audio to be "adjusted".

Video to Video needs no such "adjustment".

A PAL 25 fps converted to NTSC 30 fps (or so) will play at the same speed as its original footage. No audio adjustment needed.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on May 13, 2006 at 10:28:46 am

Video is based on TIME (seconds) not "frames per second" like film.

EH!!

Video is based on SMPTE. 25 frames per second in the UK.

I say decide if this is a PAL or an NTSC project. If its shooting PAL but being edited NTSC then the audio will be tkd with the footage. If not then it is a pAL project and you should stay pal as the final master tape will be PAL. Then it can be transferred to NTSC once completed.
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]