FORUMS: list search recent posts

EQ question for Video

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Betawave
EQ question for Video
on May 2, 2006 at 12:05:45 am

Hello,

I am working with some video originally recorded in 1972. The footage is now on Digi-beta, and the audio sounds pretty horrible. It is over modulated and its peaks are floating around -12db. Of course when I boost the levels it really sounds bad. When I don't boost the levels, it sounds okay, but the problem is that it is still quiet. I am pretty sure I know the answer, but if I am boosting the levels, am I adding any additional noise or causing it to overmodulate anymore then it already is? I think that it was transfered overmodulted at some point and now I am working with some evil stuff.
any insight is appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: EQ question for Video
on May 2, 2006 at 1:41:02 am

As long as you don't clip the signal you won't add more distorsion. As you raise the overall level of the signal you'll also raise the level of any noise that's in the program. You can use Soundtrack Pro or SoundSoap (there are other noise reduction programs, too) to remove certain noise like hum, rumble and broadband hiss. However, you are stuck with any distortion that's in the signal. You can try rolling off the high end a little bit to de-emphasize the distortion, but that will also affect the "brightness" of the program.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.3 QT7.0.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.0.4, DVDSP4.0.2, Comp2.0.1, STP1.0.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
SonicStudio HD DAW, Yamaha DM1000, Genelec Monitors

Return to posts index

cowcow
Ty Ford
on May 2, 2006 at 1:17:58 pm

I think Someone mentioned that Audacity can declipp audio. DOn't know, haven't tried it.

I'm presuming that there isn't something wronng with the audio feed from the digibeta deck to whereever it's plugged in. Other digibeta tapes play OK?

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Alexander
on May 10, 2006 at 7:06:09 am

Yes,
I've tried the "invert" function in Audacity, and
clipped audio does sound better.
My 2 cents.....

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>