FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Williams
Bad audio
on Apr 17, 2006 at 3:22:48 pm

Hello gentlemen
I shot some video of a subject in an empty room. I pick up the sound on my external cam mic. The audio was apparently bouncing all over the room because I get this echo hall like effect. The audio is clear and useable but i was wondering if there was some way I might reduce some of the(audio in an empty room) effect.
Thanks
James Williams

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: Bad audio
by
on Apr 17, 2006 at 11:19:35 pm

Sorry, no.

That's why you must take special care in recording the audio correctly at the location.

An "on-camera mic" is seldom the proper choice for recording dialogue.

You must get a good microphone, on a boom (or use a lavalier mic) as close to the subject's mouth as possible.

A reverberant room can be deadened a bit with sound-absorbing blankets.

And always (always) wear a good set of over-the-ear headphones, thoughout the shoot, to monitor the quality of any audio that you will be using in a production.

Return to posts index

James Williams
on Apr 18, 2006 at 8:28:10 pm

Thanks for the advice. I use an excellent Sony external mic with cord attached to the camera. The mic was set-up on a table just under the speaker. The audio is not bad. Is there some sound processing that you know of that might help with some of the echoing.
J. Williams

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 19, 2006 at 1:16:48 am

No. This is your first lesson in audio 101. :)

You audio can not be fixed. Next time, please use headphones so you can hear the audio as it's being recorded. I suggest Sony MDR7506 headphones.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Apr 24, 2006 at 7:18:48 pm

Its like a cup of tea (well I am English)
Once youve put sugar in then all you can do is make another cup if its too sweet.

If I had a pound for every time someone has called me with this sort of problem.

There is little you can do (although mixing in some music may distarct the ear a little) but be careful
Peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 25, 2006 at 3:56:24 pm

Well put,

Ya know. There is actually a way to lessen the effect. I didn't mention it because 90% of the time, the cure is too expensive for the amount of correction.

George Massenburg designed a noise reduction box with six faders for Disney a number of years ago to retrieve some audio from old film stock. It did have a capability to remove some slappy artifacts, but that was not its intended use.

The folks at CEDAR evolved that design to a noise reduction system of their own. It has similar capabilities, but, again, this was NOT designed to be an ambience canceller. I don't remember the model number of the CEDAR system.

I don't know if the Massenburg system is even available anymore. I think the CEDAR system was aboout $8k.

My review of the Massenburg system is in my OnLine archives.

I saw Ron and Kathlyn yesterday here at NAB. Great show. I am on assignjment, so I don't have a lot of time, but If you're out here and want to talk audio, try my cell; 410.960.0689.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]