FORUMS: list search recent posts

Integrating Pro Tools with Avids

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SueMcG
Integrating Pro Tools with Avids
on Apr 7, 2006 at 5:05:15 pm

I'm interested in getting some general info on setting up a Pro Tools rig for use in a corporate post production environment. We are editing on Avid Adrenaline systems and we'd like to eventually use Pro Tools in conjunction with Avid Unity storage.
Typically, we produce shows that have a announce track, stereo music and a few tracks of sfx. We're not talking big tracks here but I also don't want a system that will cramp future growth.
I'm a little lost as to how much fire power we need (pro Tools LE or HD) and what peripherals must be purchased to get the system operational.
Any input would be helpful.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Integrating Pro Tools with Avids
on Apr 7, 2006 at 7:16:34 pm

AVIds will output audio compositions to PT as OMF embedded files. Youll need say PT LE with an Mbox,but also DV toolkit to open up frames and OMF applications.
The beauty of an OMF file is that you get the tracks as they are on the avid, with clip name and info, mixes etc will come across, and youll get the handles (are u familiar with handles)?

Presumably its all on a network on MACS?

Peter

Return to posts index

henrygrins
Re: Integrating Pro Tools with Avids
on Apr 17, 2006 at 7:32:02 pm

Hey there-

I work for a prodco/post facility in NYC. We just did the exact same thing. You MUST MUST MUST be on WindowsXP in order to use your Pro Tools machine with Unity. It's been rock solid for us. If you're using a Mojo for pro tools video output, you need to do a video mixdown of your Avid sequence to DV25. Then all you have to do is OMF your sequence with all video/audio tracks. Use OMF 2.0 and "link to current media." Then on your Pro Tools machine, mount all of the same Unity workspaces and then launch Pro Tools. Import Session Data (from the "File->Import" menu) and select your OMF. It should link to all of your existing media. It's a great tool!

Henry
Vidiots, NYC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]