FORUMS: list search recent posts

sennheiser g2 100 wireless

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Mejido
sennheiser g2 100 wireless
on Apr 5, 2006 at 1:28:34 pm

after looking over everything, i'm strongly considering the sennhesier Evolution G2 100 series:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&...

....however, as usual, i have a few questions.. keeping in mind i'm still quite the newb with all this schtuff..

1) is it wiser to get a microphone with a transmitter built-in, or is it better to get one of those snap-on transmitters? is there much difference in the quality?

2) in terms of calibrating/setting up a wireless system, i would be purchasing one on friday evening.. and then would need to use it saturday evening... are they very difficult to set up for a complete newbie like myself?

3) here's a *complete* newbie question. Even though right now i'd primarly be doing interviews with a hand-held microphone, i'd like to leave myself open for the possibility of sit down interviews, which of course would be better suited to a pair of lavs. What things do i need to look for to know that a pair of, say, sennheiser seperately bought lavs/transmitters would work with the receiver that i bought with a the wireless microphone? is it just channel sets? for example, if i buy a microphone/reciever with channel set B/626-662 MHz, i would also have to buy lav transmitters with the same channel set? I know this is a complete newbie question ;)

4) what accessories should i purchase in order to mount a reciever to my dvx100? the sony wireless systems from B&H seem to come with a Shoe-Mount Adapter, but the sennheisers don't. do any dvx100 owners know what i should purchase?

thanks everyone :)

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: sennheiser g2 100 wireless
on Apr 5, 2006 at 7:27:28 pm

Michael,
I have seen better reception from an all-in-one handheld (mic&transmitter in one housing) than from the Snap-on units, however, the downside is this: If you ever have problems with the mic or transmitter, the other half of it becomes useless. I think that since the transmitter is built into the mic it has a better antenna position. The plug-on units have to use a less-than-ideal antenna postion. The sound quality is generally identical between the two types.

You should be able to setup your system and TEST it within a few minutes. A few pointers:

- Always use fresh batteries at the start of the day. Remove the used bats form the unit at the end of the day. I save my used batteries for other, less critical uses.
- Turn the system on and walk around and use it for a few hours. Make sure that no intermittent interference occurs on the channel(s) you intend to use. Doing this will also warm-up the system and check against faulty manufacturing.
- Keep the receiver away from large metal objects and high-voltage sources. This includes cables.
- Set levels and such from the camera backwards. In other words, set the camera inputs for standard "line levels", which in the case of the DVX100, are +4db. Adjust the input GAIN on the camera to unity. This will be a indicated by a "U" or sometimes it's at "7" - check the manual. Then adjust the level of the transmitter to indicate proper levels on the camera meters. This way, when you switch out the wireless for a wired mic, or just change mics, you will have a standard setting in which to reproduce later.

-Wireless systems are assigned 'frequency blocks' (the"B-block you referred to). Purchase the best frequency block for your area. See the link below.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/mat_dev/frequencyfinder/Freqfinder-ew....

Always buy additional receivers and transmitters in that block and you should have no problems.

- The DVX100 is so small that it's hard mount a receiver, but you can buy mounts for most models that can be attached to the hot-shoe or battery. Try TAI Audio or Location Sound.

http://www.taiaudio.com/catalog/index.php

http://www.locationsound.com/proaudio/ls/index.html

Return to posts index

Michael Mejido
Re: sennheiser g2 100 wireless
on Apr 7, 2006 at 6:44:36 pm

again, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]