FORUMS: list search recent posts

pre-song chat (OT but folks here may know something)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
pre-song chat (OT but folks here may know something)
on Mar 31, 2006 at 3:41:20 am

For some reason, I got curious about a strange topic, and I'd appreciate some help researching it: cool non-music moments in pop music recordings: for example, the pre-song studio chatter which gives you an interesting sense of how a song gets started -- or the crowd sounds in a live concert. For example, Wilson Pickett's Engine No. 9 has a few interesting false starts, or any number of Grateful Dead live recordings (one song in particular, which I can't recall right now, starts with a hard cut to a crowd roar that is just great).

I know, this is the kind of thing that can be incredibly obnoxious and self-indulgent. But I'd like to hear about some good examples, and I'd like to know more about why and how record producers decide to use non-musical moments on their CDs.

What is this non-musical material called in the business? And, is there a place where this is discussed or examples are collected?

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: pre-song chat (OT but folks here may know something)
on Apr 1, 2006 at 5:42:34 pm

Well, there's the "Is it rolling, Bob?" Dylan question asked of engineer Bob Johnston.

Regards,

Ty

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Apr 2, 2006 at 4:02:53 pm

"non-music moments in pop music recordings"

That could describe the whole hip-hop / rap genre.

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Apr 2, 2006 at 5:22:58 pm

[Will Salley] ""non-music moments in pop music recordings"

That could describe the whole hip-hop / rap genre."

;-)

ROFL!

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 5, 2006 at 4:35:49 am

very funny.

but does anyone besides Ty have some good nominations for "non-rap, non-hip-hop, pre-song chatter?" There must be someone who has collected some of these on the web someplace.

-- BC

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 5, 2006 at 11:59:43 am

Doesn't Lynyryd Syknyrd has a "Toin' It Up" spoken under the intro on one of their songs?

I think David Crosby say something just before "Almost Cut My Hair."
Something like "I will now ??? the whole place."

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Bill @ UGA
on Apr 20, 2006 at 6:56:17 pm

Sometimes alternate collections from musicians contain such banter. The Beatles collections in recent years (double CD sets include the brown BBC collection and the three white Capitol sets) come to mind and are full of such chat. Alternate takes of popular studio versions are also fun to listen to. There are also live albums that contain some fun exchanges. 25 years ago much of the Beatles material now found on "official" recordings were sold exclusively as bootleg copies. The draw to these awful recordings was this "never before" heard chat before or after a popular recording. I use the Beatles as as example, but I'm certain there is plenty of "pre-song chat" out there.

Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]